White stuff in the bottom and sides of carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okotokswine

Junior
Reaction score
Hello I am a first time wine maker and I have a California white Chardonnay at 23 in the process. I racked for the 2nd time and added all the chemicals that the instructions told me to add. I de gassed. My hydrometer reading were where they should be. This was 2 days ago. I checked it tonight and there is white stuff at the bottom and making its way up the side of the bottle.
Is this something I need to worry about. Thank you
image-3600761204.jpg

image-1991596322.jpg

I believe that is just more settling, it often happens after degassing.

For the stuff stuck on the sides. Using a twisting motion, give the carboy a 1/4 or a 1/2 turn. that will loosen it so it will settle to the bottom.

Steve

This is just your gross lees (dead yeast, grape skins, ect.) that is falling to the bottom. It sometimes collects along the sides of the carboy, but will eventually all make its way to the bottom. Sometimes I find it falls faster (off of the sides) if you tap the sides or shake the carboy softly. You'll want to eventually rack it again off of the gross lees before bottling.

I've had this before but my simple, optimistic mind just figured it was sediment working it's way down as clearing went on and I never gave it another thought. My best guess is that these are proteins and other particulate matter that the clearing agents are dragging out of the wine. I'm curious to see what others think.

This is exactly what my carboy looks like after I add kielosol/chitosan (fining agents) which were probably included in the chemicals you added per kit instructions. This is expected with clearing, rack off of it once there is no more accumulating and let sit awhile before bottling to make sure everything is all done falling out to avoid sediment in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back