White Specks floating

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasteddy999

Junior
Reaction score
I have a friend that has a wine that recently finished
in a full 5 gal. carboy. It has white specks floating on
the surface that don't sink when disturbed. He says
they look like yeast . Anyone have any ideas as to
what it may be?

fasteddy,

He didn't happen to use some locally produced honey to sweeten it up with did he?

Was it a wine kit or from scratch? This has come up before on the forum and believe it was traced back to the use of campden tablets and not getting them dissolved completely.

Had it been clear before and then did they appear? Were there temperature changes? Can he describe in more detail what they look like? (i.e. chunks of campden, crystals, grains of salt?) What kind of wine isit?

In any case, I would suggest he rack the wine to a sanitized carboy and try not to transfer the stuff to the new carboy.

I would also suggest he taste the wine to see if it tastes okay.

Those would be my initial suggestions, without knowing other factors.

my bet would be campden that has not dissolved. I have seen this personally several times.

I would say campden tablets that were not crushed well enough. This has happened to me a few times even after crushing in mortor and pystol(sp) and useing one of those hand held blenders.

Suck it of with a straw.

A sanitized straw of course.

Oh BTW if your topped up good you can usually get it all off the top in one good suck.
smiley2.gif

I have these from the last 2 red VR kits I have made. Dunno what the deal on it is. The specks didn't appear till after bottling. It is either from the sanitizer or filter I would say.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Back