RJ Spagnols White Chocolate Port- HELP PLEASE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepbabe

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I think my White Chocolate White Port is stuck! Here is my data:

5/17/10 (Day 1) Starting SG 1.126
5/31/10 (Day 14) SG 1.012 @75 F; Racked to new carboy
6/7/10 (Day 21) SG 1.012 @ 70 F; no change!

What do you recommend I do? I was thinking about maybe pitching another package of Champagne Yeast to see if that would jump start things. Any advice here is very much appreciated.
smiley19.gif

Thanks all!

Thats actually lower then the normal sg usually gets, do you have the instructions as I believe the instructions state 1.020 - 1.030 at stabilizing point.

Hi Wade,

The instructions say 1.000 or lower for stabilizing.

Well,

I will take a stab here....(Wade/Appleman) will let me know if I hit the crack pipe too much!

First, I would suggest getting the must temp up closer to 80 degrees

21 days seems a bit long for a primary ferm even on a Port.

How often have you been stirring the must?

Once you get the temp up, add some yeast energizer (1-2) teaspoons and stir the heck out of it.

The only other option would be to get the temp up and a add the new yeast...

Best of luck

I would also shoot off an e-mail or call the mfg and see what they recommend

I would try the getting it warm method but I wouldnt use the energizer or nutrient at this point just in case it doesnt do anything more and that might or might not leave a taste in the wine. About the instructions, sorry about that but I dont have them in front of me and go to their website to rely on that and they have something different up there for this. Get it warmed up to around 78* and stir it up good.
http://rjspagnols.com/en/resource/articles/cru-select-icewine-port--sherry.aspx
I also would email them if it doesnt drop a few gravity readings.

Sorry about not updating sooner. The final SG was 1.007. We emailed RJ Spagnols and they suggested that we just proceed to stabilization and fortify if we wanted. We fortified using vodka and used an online calculator to figure out the correct amount of vodka to add to get the final alcohol up to 17%. We degassed the wine on 6/20/10 and added the clearing agents. By the way the flavoring pack is so good...yum!
smiley17.gif
The wine cleared very nicely and we plan on letting this bulk age for awhile. I still have high hopes for this port.

Bulk Aging Question: After how many days should I add sulfites and how much for a three gallon batch?

Jeepbabe,
I believe the general rule for sulfites (after stabilizing) is 1/4 tsp. per 6-gallons every 90 days. At that rate, you'd be looking at 1/8 tsp. per 3-gallons every 90 days. The community here will correct me if I'm mistaken.

- Jim

I usually do the sulfiting closer to 4 month intervals and find the S02 levels more appropriate. 1.007 isnt bad at all and Id feel fine with that myself. I wouldnt call hat a stuck fermentation.

jeepbabe (got a 2007 Sahara myself!),

This is a great wine kit, I made one in 2008 and it just got me a gold medal at Winemakers Competition. The hardest part for me was to not drink it all and save some for the future, good luck with that!! I think I'm down to 7 bottles :( got to make another batch!!

Dave

Hi Wine-O,

Nice Jeep!
smiley20.gif
I have a 1999 White Jeep Sahara myself that I factory ordered back in 1998. It still looks great and I plan on driving it for a few more years.

The port is doing well and is just bulk aging a bit before I bottle it in about a month. I can't wait to try it after a year or so but I know it is going to be hard to keep my hands off. Congrats on your Gold Medal!

Update: Started May 15, 2010. I bottled my White Chocolate White Port on July 31, 2010 and today I finally got around to putting on the labels. Here's how they look:

20101031_195700_WCP_labeled_10_.jpg

29 bottles total!
20101031_200037_WCP_labeled_10_.jpg

This tasted so good at bottling and I can't wait to try it. I'm going to try to let this one age for a year. I will however try one for the Holidays...
smiley2.gif

I agree, cool label. I like this kit way better then the Orange Chocolate port!!!!

Latest posts

Back