which yeast for watermelon?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaches9324

Reaction score
ok trying to post this again on my moble so bare with me! which yeast is the prefered yeast for watermelon I understand it goes bad fast! and do I add the watermelon flavor right befor I btle if it needs it?

If it was me, I would use Lalvin EC 1118 for a fast start, quick fermentation that tolerates low temps - all features that might keep that watermelon must from spoiling while fermenting. however I have never tried making watermelon wine. Red Start Premier Cuvée would be it's equivalent.

I would agree or even the Red Star Premier Cuvee. Either would be good but make a good starter to get it going fast.

will the watermelon benefit from freezing it first? I plan on cutting it today and freezing it and trying it maybe in a couple weeks

I dont think it will need freezing as it will break down very easily unlike other berry type fruits.

I pitched the red star premier cuvee, made a good starter first last night. what temp should the must be at for the watermelon?
thanks

20101006_022503_watermelon_wine.jpg

heres a couple pics of my watermelon wine
20101006_023734_watermelon_wine.jpg

what temp would you recommend? its @ 62 degrees right now and going about 1 1/2 x as strong as it was lastnight
thanks

Id probably keep it just a tad warmer for now but raise it up towards 73* at the end to make sure it finishes fermenting.

62* can be pushing the limit for some yeast strains and I wouldnt want you to get a stuck fermentation but cooler temps are better for lighter fruit wines such as this that dont have much flavor to begin with. Near then end though is when the yeast is really struggling to finish up and cooler temps at that point could cause it to just give up early.

I had it in the entrance way cuz it was cooler there but since we had a warm up today I just went and checked the temp and it has climbed to 70 should I take it down a couple notches?
thanks

3 days into the fermentation still at 70degrees sg is at 1.050 it was at 1.060 just lastnight it seems like this one is taking forever cuz I'm babying it along the way and infact I think it's coming along nicely!

yea I think this is gonna be a good one!I was checking the temp on it every few hrs and checking the sg 2 x a day stirring it up befor I check the sg. Half the fruit has dissinigrated and when I had a taste of it earlier it had morethe fruit taste than the sweetness that I was experiencing with it
smiley4.gif

hey I got the watermelon wine racked into the secondary it was at 1.000 for 3 days. But its got alot of activity going on in the airlock it's working hard! I didn't degas it yet just splashed racked it. Should I have degassed it?
thanks

Sounds like its got a lot of gas but I dont advise splash racking it. I would sulfite it and then degas it so all of the degassing doesnt expose it to too much 02 and also add sorbate if you plan on sweetening it at a later time.

I would give this a little more time before adding sulfites and sorbate...make sure it is done fermenting, you have it in the secondary with an airlock, a little time can be your friend.....good luck..sounds great so far..

I had added the sulfit yesterday afternoon after it had settled down a bit after I degased some and I did add surbate although I'm not sure I will need to sweeten this or not since it is my first watermelon but I added it just incase.
thanks for the advice it's truly appreciated!
smiley4.gif
bonnie

Latest posts

Back