WineXpert Which Wine Export kit to do next?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaCom

Vendor/Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
Which Wine Expert kit to do next?

I'm in an unusual situation.... I've got a lot of wine ageing but nothing brewing at the moment!
I tend to stick with Wine Expert Selection red wine kits and I've brewed a few now. So, I am looking for some recommendations on which W.Expert kit to do next that I haven't already tried.
So far I have brewed the following W.E kits...(all are bul ageing still!!)

- Limited Edition Brunello
- International Series Chilean Merlot
- Internation Series Australian Cab/Shiraz
- Special Edition Chocolate/Raspberry Port

I have also recently brewed another wine kit brand and have done a Shiraz, Rioja and a Cab/Sav in that brand (Beaverdale).

So, taking into account all of the above, what would you brew next if you wanted to do something different to the above? I like full bodied reds. Nice and complex. I have heard good things about the Italian Amerone but I have never tried it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am also into full bodied reds. I started a WE Luna Rossa and its in secondary now. It smelled and looked fantastic. If you like a beefy and heavily oaked red Luna Rossa might be a nice choice. Some people say its a relatively early drinker.
The amarone is my next one.

AquaCom:

Should I give you the same responses that I gave on the UK web-site? :h

Steve

I would put these on my list:

Estate Series Italian Barolo
Estate Series Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sav
Estate Series Stag's Leap Merlot

In that order.....

I am also into full bodied reds. I started a WE Luna Rossa and its in secondary now. It smelled and looked fantastic. If you like a beefy and heavily oaked red Luna Rossa might be a nice choice. Some people say its a relatively early drinker.
The amarone is my next one.

Thanks for the tip on the WE Luna Rossa. I hadn't considered that one at all :)

I would put these on my list:

Estate Series Italian Barolo
Estate Series Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sav
Estate Series Stag's Leap Merlot

In that order.....

Thanks Steve, Wade, jdeere. I'll have to consider if I can go up to that price level. Is there really a big jump in quality when you move from the International series to the estate series?

IMO yes!!! I dont really like the range of kits that you are speaking of but the higher end ones make good wine. Consider the price when you break it down per bottle and its nothing but worth every penny when you pop a cork.

Fair point Wade.
The initial cost of the kit always looks expensive, but when you divide it out and work out the per-bottle costs, it's not as bad as you think.
UK price for the Stags Leap Merlot is £99 approx (so, about $155). I usually pay about £70 (approx $110), so we're talking about 1.5 dollars per bottle extra to go for the Estate series. Well that's how I will sell it to my good lady anyway :i :i
Shame Midwest Supplies can't open up a UK branch :re

They really are a step above what you are used to. There are a few decent kits in the range you speak of but these are just way better!

I have to echo Wade- The higher end kits are worth every penny. On the other hand, the mid-range kits are probably more drinkable in 3-6 months while the high end kits need more like a year of aging (IMO). So I've been making about 50/50, some to drink now and some to drink next year.

For the mid-range kits, Luna Rosa is excellent. I also like the original series Merlot and International series Montepulciano. The International series Grenach/Shiraz/Mourvedra is really good to, but again pretty high tannins and needs 9-12 months before approachable. The international Rioja is nice as well. Just don't expect the same legs or body with these kits as you will get with the Estate series (Luna Rosa might be an exception).

This is not what you asked for, but just for fun, try one of the W.E. mist kits.

These little summer wines are more like a super wine cooler than a real sipping wine, but they can be great fun at summer parties. I add pineapple slices, blue berries, oranges, strawberries and others to them; I always serve them over ice.

I make 12 gallons each year. Starting about May, we commence drinking them at parties; by the end of September, they are only a memory.

Many of my friends might disown me, should I show up at parties without a nice summer wine. They bring the nice wines, I bring the summer wines.

Latest posts

Back