which varietals?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doober

Reaction score
Hi, i am going to put in a few rows of vines and was going to use hybrids. I am located in northeast PA. I was thinking of putting Niagra And marquette in, 1 red and 1 white. does anyone have any experience with these grapes and wines? What do you suggest for this growing area? and is it too late to order and plant new vines?

Welcome to the obsession of growing grapes Doober. If you like Niagara grapes and wine, then it will be fine there, but it isn't a hybrid, it is a fairly old American grape variety. Cayuga would be similar, but makes a slightly better wine and would also be fine there. Cayuga is a bit easier to make into a wine, because it generally is a bit better with less acid and higher natural sugars.

Marquette should make good wine and certainly is hardy enough for you, but the variety is new enough to have only a few years experience with making wines from it. I have made it before and it is good, but a bit shallow in complexity. Once we all learn the best way to handle it in wine making, I'm sure we can make a better wine with it. You could grow another variety to add a bit more complexity, such as Noiret or even St. Croix.

It is a bit late to start, but if you get right to it, you can still do it. Check Double A Vineyards in NY or Andy Farmer at Northeast Vine Supply in Vermont. They are getting close to the cutoff date, so act very quickly and good luck.

After reading through the other posts, i think i am going to take my time and prepare the soil and trellis systems this year and start planting next year. I am not a huge fan of the niagra wine, but dont hate it. i am looking for a varietal that makes a super delicious, get drunkwine whether dry or sweet. and a fairly complex red.

The 2 rows of vines are going to be around 50 ft. Do i need anchors on the end posts even if they are tilted away from the vines? for the hybrid varietals, how high should the wires be on the trellis? 3' and 6'?thanks for the posts! This will probably just be the beginning of my endless stream of questions.

in my view....a fifty foot row will not require anchors...a few extra posts in the row will handle that kind of weight....but if you do have the time then the anchors will seal the deal and leave no issues down the road guaranteed.

before the decsion of what the wire height should be is made you need to consider what trellis system you will employ....I also believe you will want more than just two wires....for example let us say you go vsp.....and the height of the lower fruiting wire is 36 inches...when the new growth emerges and lengthens into foot or more long canes they will need something to latch onto ( say at 48 inches and then more at 60 and 72)or else the wind will snap a large percentage of them off because it takes a while for the young canesto lignify....if you dont have something to latch them on to you will walk down your new row one late spring morning and see dozens of canes laying wilted on the ground....you will see some of that anyway, but you need to lessen what occurs

also you may want a wire for drip irrigation if you need it

Back