WineXpert Which kit...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpowell88

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some suggestions... Looking for a red I can age for at least a year from winexpert. I would like one with skins. Which have you made and how did it turn out? Thanks! I like medium bodied reds mainly buy an open to all ideas!

Welcome.

If you want skins I believe you have to go with the Ultra Premium Estate Series. Your question really has only three Winexpert Ultra Premium possibilities (in my preference order): Lodi Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon, Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel, or Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot. (The Barolo is really full-bodied.) I believe most winemakers here will rate them in that order as well, but see what happens. My suggestion, though, is to select one based on the type of red wine you prefer.

Also, there's a lot here within the forum on all three. Look at the previous postings, as well. If you want to consider other kit makers, there's a few others that are fine.

Tony P.

Tony thanks for the detailed response! I wouldn't really mine trying another brand. My local brew store only has the winexpert is all. I will do some poking around on here and see what I can dig up... I would just like to not make a 2 year mistake wine! Right now I have a coastal white and merlot in the carboys... They are both fairly cheap and age quick ( I'm impatient) but am willing to wait it out for a nice red. Thanks for all the info!

Actually looks like I'm open to "Cellar Craft" with skins as well as I found a local shop that has those... Any preference over the winexpert?

Lodi Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon, Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel, or Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot.

Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon does not have skins - At least mine did not. Ausie Petit Verdot from WE is another option.

The Winexpert kits with grape skins do seem to genuinely develop on a fast time scale compared to other kits with grape skins. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Cellar Craft kits (Showcase line at least), but they would probably take longer to really come into their prime.

Course...you could just always try both brands and say it's "necessary product research"...

Hey guys I went with the WE Petit Verdot with skins.. Really excited about this one!

Great! Thanks for the pointers... I think I'll be doing the brunello soon too

Latest posts

Back