WineXpert Which Eclipse Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Ok, I've narrowed down which kit I want to get next :)

Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot, Eclipse Lodi 11 Cab Cauv, or Ecliplse Barossa Valley Shiraz.

Opinions?
Thanks!

Ok, I've narrowed down which kit I want to get next :)

Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot, Eclipse Lodi 11 Cab Cauv, or Ecliplse Barossa Valley Shiraz.

Opinions?
Thanks!

All three are decent, so just pick whatever varietal you like the best. Having made all three, my preference for them is as follows:

1. Barossa Shiraz
2. Lodi Cabernet
3. Stags Merlot

I'm thinking about the Eclipse Barossa Shiraz as my next purchase later this month.

I have the Eclipse Lodi Zinfandel and the Forza bulk aging right now. Both tasted like they have lots of potential.

Eclipse Nebbelio gets pitched this weekend.

All three are decent, so just pick whatever varietal you like the best. Having made all three, my preference for them is as follows:

1. Barossa Shiraz
2. Lodi Cabernet
3. Stags Merlot
My preference is just the opposite. So make what you like. :fsh

I have made the Stags Leap Merlot 3 years in a row and just started opening the first year it aged well and has good body.

My Stags Leap Merlot is due for another taste. At last Taste, Young and a little hard on the edges; a lot of body, big nose, deep color and dark fruit on the palate, though. I'm expecting taste #2 to be a bit softer.

The Forza is in a carboy finishing fermentation and is going to be a huge wine in time.

I think the Cab will be my next Eclipse kit.

My Stags Leap Merlot is due for another taste. At last Taste, Young and a little hard on the edges; a lot of body, big nose, deep color and dark fruit on the palate, though. I'm expecting taste #2 to be a bit softer.

The Forza is in a carboy finishing fermentation and is going to be a huge wine in time.

I think the Cab will be my next Eclipse kit.

Looking forward to getting our Forza started, it's next in line for the fermenter after an LE from last year.

We've made the Cab three times, it's quite good.

Pic the varietal you like best. All of the Eclipse kits are very nice, you won't go wrong either way. I'm partial Cab's so that would be mine (out of the options)

I have made the 3 years in a row and just started opening the first year it aged well and has good body.
Your a year ahead of me. I've made the Stags Leap Merlot 2 years and will make it again next year:db

How long did you bulk age the Eclipse Merlot for? I have a batch at about 9 months now, and its WAYYYY to acidic.

For comparison a Barolo Meglioli kit which I started at the same time is ready to drink now (although I'm going to bulk age it at least 4 more months).

abefroman - I have the same kit made without any tweaks. It is exactly 9 months old. Still bulk aging. Just sampled it 2 days ago. It shows great promise. Great body, flavor and a long finish but it still has a good bit of harshness. It is certainly drinkable now but I would much rather age it another year or so to let it get really good.

Latest posts

Back