Where did the alcohol go

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Last November I whipped together a gallon of malted mead, It came out pretty good great color, smelled great about 16% and cleared quickly. I had it ageing in a airlocked gallon jug. Last night I went to steal a glass and it looked the same as it did BUT there was NO alcohol none. It didnt even have legs on the glass. I have made many differant wines , lots of experiments and lots of mistakes. Never had this before what a bust.
Any ideas what might have happen. I dont want to do this again.:c
Could this be a canidate for everclear or grappa.
HELP

I don't see where the alcohol went. If it was 16% as your post said, you would have noticed a considerable volume change if it simply evaporated, which it would be hard pressed to do just sitting there with an airlock. Why do you say there absolutely no alcohol?

How much did you drink?

Are you sure that the flavors haven't simply masked the alcohol content?

I dont know. No teenagers that would be my first guess if there were any. Ive pulled that stunt a hundred times with mom. No excessive loss of volume.
Someone did mention there is a bacteria that eats alc. There is no alc in it I may be new to making it but not drinking it.
Last time I use killer bee honey.
Thanks everyone for the input.:dg

With age mead mellows ..a lot and it just may be you can no longer taste it. Thats why the stuff is so DANGEROUS. Gets the girls drunk real fast

If you are used to drinking things with a nice alcohol burn, as I am. Then a good aged Mead will not give you that burn. I have to have my wife taste my aged Meads to tell me if a non seasoned drinker can handle them or not. She doesn't drink at all other than the samples she takes for me so she is really sensitive to alcohol. What tastes completely lacking in alcohol to me, she finds very hot tasting.

I dont know. No teenagers that would be my first guess if there were any. Ive pulled that stunt a hundred times with mom. No excessive loss of volume.
Someone did mention there is a bacteria that eats alc. There is no alc in it I may be new to making it but not drinking it.
Last time I use killer bee honey.
Thanks everyone for the input.:dg
You did not mention any off flavors nor a growth on top of your mead so I do not think bacterial growth is a problem here.

Back