Where are the grapes from

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Peaple always ask me, where do I get the grapes for the wine that were drinking? I tell them about the kits, but i'm not really sure where their grapes come from....Are they getting the grapes from actual vineyards that have extra, or are there vinyards that only grow and sell grapes for the purpose of making kits????

Thanks

They get them from actual Vineyards that supply some of the same wine you drink commercially. Most grapes come from farms and are sold to wineries and a few other places that will ship them to wine supply stores or to the companies that make the kits. There will be some special reserve that will be only sold to the wineries as they have contracts.

Many vinyards do not convert all of their grapes to wine. Some don't make any wine at all. They grow the grapes and sell them to wineries. Some wineries grow no grapes, and buy all of their grapes.

Think of bread. A large bakery, like Sunbeam or Wonder may grow wheat, mill it, and bake bread. A smaller bakery may buy the wheat from farmers, mill it and bake bread. Smaller still would be a baker that buys theflour from the miller and bakes bread.

In our case, the kit maker is the miller who buys the grapes from the vinyards of the world, extracts the juice (mills the wheat), and sells it to us to make into wine (bake into bread). These are the same grapes that commercial wineries use to make their wines.

Most of the kit companies are owned by large wine making conglomerates. These companies have sources within their corporations. For example there is a vineyard at the south end of the Okanagan in BC with an Andrew Peller Wines sign on the highway. The Merlot grapes from gere used to used in one of Vineco's kits. Not sure where the grapes are going now.

They also attend grape auctions and have contracts with vineyards.

Steve

Latest posts

Back