When to siphen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Teamsterjohn

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
385
Reaction score
4
My wine kit instruction sheet for Vino Del Vida World tour chile/cabernet merlot said at (approx.) day 14 test the SG and if below 0.998 to siphon into my carboy. If it is above the .998 should I leave it in the primary bucket a little longer and check everyday to see if it did drop to that .998 or lower? I just read the posts below, and have a good idea now.
 
Last edited:

vvolf34

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
I would say yes, that os what you want to do. I have not done that kit, but most of my kits have had me rack at 1.020 or 1.010 to finish fermenting in the carboy. But if that is what your directions say, stick with it!
 

TheTooth

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
479
Reaction score
3
Yes... you should wait. Time is just a guideline to give you an idea of how long it will take. Actual fermentation will take more or less time depending on multiple variables (yeast viability, oxygen, temperature, etc...). Just keep taking readings every couple of days until it reaches the gravity reading you are looking for.
 

Teamsterjohn

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
385
Reaction score
4
Thanks Jason. Another question, Do all wine hydrometers have an accurate reading of 60degrees and you have to ajust to the must temperature?
 

Teamsterjohn

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
385
Reaction score
4
Thank you (TheTooth) and im looking for .998 or lower. So I should pretty much wait for the air lock to slow down before taking the lid off to test it then. Then its ok to put the lid back on and wait a few more days if it needs it?
 
Last edited:

vvolf34

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
You honestly got me on that! I don't worry about the temperature much. Just take a reading. At least I will have a general idea of what the ABV will be.
 

Teamsterjohn

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
385
Reaction score
4
Thats what I did, I just took the reading, then after, I read that you had to ajust for anything above 60 degrees, and I didnt to that. I thought that I blow that reading,lol live and learn...
 

TheTooth

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
479
Reaction score
3
Thank you (TheTooth) and im looking for .998 or lower. So I should pretty much wait for the air lock to slow down before taking the lid off to test it then. Then its ok to put the lid back on and wait a few more days if it needs it?
.998 will be happen when fermentation is pretty much complete, so you can just wait for the air lock to slow down to almost a stop before you bother checking again. It's definitely ok to put the lid back on and wait until it's ready.

I see you have it at 60 degrees, and most instructions will tell you to ferment a bit warmer (65 to 75 degrees for a red). The lower temp will not hurt you, but it is likely the reason your wine is taking a bit longer to ferment than expected.
 

Teamsterjohn

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
385
Reaction score
4
The Tooth, you read it wrong. Its at71 degrees in my basement. The 60 that you read is the hydrometer that they said to use as a baseline. So if your wine temp is 70 degrees lets say, you must add 2 points to you SG.
 

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Messages
619
Reaction score
1
The Tooth, you read it wrong. Its at71 degrees in my basement. The 60 that you read is the hydrometer that they said to use as a baseline. So if your wine temp is 70 degrees lets say, you must add 2 points to you SG.
Your right teamster. You should check your hydrometer in the temp. water they call out for. So if yours doesn't read right at 1.000 in 60º water you need to use that difference in all your readings from now on. Also the chart you read about wine temp. that is different should be followed too. If the chart says to adjust by 2 points for a different temp. adjust the reading accordingly.
 

Teamsterjohn

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
385
Reaction score
4
Thats a good idea racer. I will check it tomorrow morning at 60and see what it reads. Thanks
 
Top