RJ Spagnols 1st kit - getting ready to move to carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyJohn

Reaction score
Hey again guys!

So on Tuesday it will be 14 days since I started my Grand Cru Cabernet, and the instructions say to move to a carboy, stabilize, and clear, provided the SG is 0.998 or lower.

My question is what to do if for some reason the SG is not low enough - go ahead and move it to the carboy and top off with water, then let it sit a couple more days? I don't want to let it sit in the primary fermenter after opening the lid and allowing the oxygen into it.

If the SG is not low enough, can I go ahead and start degassing before adding the "stuff", then let it sit until the SG is low enough, or should I just move it, test it, top it off, and do nothing else until the SG drops?

Speaking of that, should I degas before checking the SG? Or does it not really matter?

What is the SG? Need to know before advising you what to do next.

Just re-read your post. I guess you are asking what happens when you get to Tuesday if the SG is not low enough. I would be using the hydrometer and forget the days. When SG gets down to about 1.100 I would rack into a carboy and put on an airlock.

Just re-read your post. I guess you are asking what happens when you get to Tuesday if the SG is not low enough. I would be using the hydrometer and forget the days. When SG gets down to about 1.100 I would rack into a carboy and put on an airlock.

I think you meant 1.000

You should be able to move to a carboy if it is 1.010 or lower and let it finish fementing under an airlock. If already .998 or lower it is done fermenting. does your kit say to degass? most do. It is important to degass so your wine will clear correctly. It helps if you wine is abou 75F when degassing. You can then stablize and let it clear. Don'tbe surprised if it does not clear as fast as the kit says it will. That is pretty much the least amount of time for clearing.

Congratulations on your first kit!

Latest posts

Back