When to rack to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjackson

rjackson
Reaction score
I've got a batch of wild Mustang grapes fermenting on the skins and most of the information that I've read indicates that I should move to the secondary fermentation when SG reaches l.040. I started at l.090 and am now pretty close to the 1.040, but some of the information here indicates that folks are not moving to the secondary until SG is 1.000. What am I missing ? Any help will be appreciated.

I rack below 1.020, when the vigorous fermentation has subsided. The reason being that this way you won't have a mess coming out of the airlock if it is fermenting so hard that it foams up.

Thanks for all of the replys. I guess I was just a little confused. I am striving to finish up with a batch of dry/semi-dry, blush table wine. So, I'll try to wait til at least 1.020 then rack into the carboy for secondary. This is my first attempt at wild Mustang grapes, and I'm a little hesitant when it comes to something different. I innoculated with yeast at SG 1.090 and acidity at about 72%. I've had active fermintation for four days, so...Got my fingers crossed.

Just remember that racking it earlier wont make your wine finish faster...you still have to wait until 0.995-0.990 to stabilise and clear it...

Good luck!!

Back