When to oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euphio

Reaction score
newbie here - only on my second batch.

Question - my first kit came with oak to put in the primary.
Does the oak (chips, cubes, whatever) have to go in the primary or can you age on "finished" wine in bulk?

I was thinking about taking a 6 gallon batch and age them on different oaks a gallon each to see how that effects the taste. Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Chips or shavings are meant to be used in primary with most kits. After you've completed secondary and are clearing and/or bulk aging, use cubes or staves (or a barrel).

You can certainly split your batch and use different oaks to see the way it can vary the wine - a great way to find out what you like. I've actually used more than one oak on a single batch too; for example using Hungarian, followed by French. It adds another layer of flavor/complexity.

Normally, oak chips and powder go into primary fermentation, cubes and spirals go into secondary fermentation and bulk aging. If I understand what you are asking, you are planning to separate your 6 gallon batch into (I guess) six each 1 gallon jugs and vary the amounts and/or types of oak in each one. The short answer is, yes, you could do that just be sure to have each one under airlock. You should end up with about 5 bottles from each gallon jug and you will have a real variety of tastes. Not sure I would do that, but you certainly can if you want to do so.

Thanks all. This place is so helpful.

That plan is what I was thinking Rocky, but might just bottle 4 gallons w/o oak and try to age a couple gallons on oak cubes. I don't want to overoak though - is there a recommended amount of oak per gallon and time on the oak? Obviously this is to taste but just trying to get an idea of time frame and basic amounts.

You are absolutely right, it is a matter of taste. I like oak and I add oak cubes in my bulk aging stage and keep them there for about 8 weeks. I typically use American oak, heavy toast, 3-4 oz. per 6 gallons. One way to do it is to start out with 3-4 oz of cubes and begin taste testing after 4 weeks. Another point, oak tends to diminish or smooth out over time.

Thanks - this worked out REALLY well.
I did oak 2 gallons - put 20 cubes (about 0.5 oz) in each 1 gallon carboy for 3 weeks then bottled it.
Any more oak would have been too much for us. Next time I think I might do it the opposite way: 4 gallons oaked, 2 gallons unoaked.

It is a cool way to really taste the difference.

Latest posts

Back