When to move from primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suecasa

Addicted Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate you expert's advice... Started an island mist 3 days ago. But got a chance to go see my kids tomorrow out of state for a couple days. SG is currently 1.022. Supposed to rack at 1.010 or less. Ill be gone 4 days or so. So the question...rack now before its dropped or wait and let it just sit until presumably dry when I get back? (I did add extra sugar to up the abv. Started at 1.078... So it's moving along quite quickly)

Thanks!

Sue. it seems there are two routes for you to go. You could snap down the lid on your primary fermenter and install an airlock in the lid or you could rack to a carboy now and install an airlock. I would lean toward the latter. I just moved two wines to secondary at SGs of 1.024 and 1.022 (I was supposed to wait to 1.020 or less) with no ill effects.

I'm with Rocky. Rack it now and avoid possible problems.

If I was away from my wine for a few days I would prefer it to be in the carboy. If your SG is already at 1.022 it will be slowing down soon. I would rack over if it were me. Good luck. Enjoy your visit!

I'll be sitting with almost a similar problem. I have 6 wines in secondary and go off to Ghana next week for nearly a month. They not exactly ready to be racked yet. Should I go ahead and rack it anyways before I go?

I'll be sitting with almost a similar problem. I have 6 wines in secondary and go off to Ghana next week for nearly a month. They not exactly ready to be racked yet. Should I go ahead and rack it anyways before I go?

Think I would rack it, leaving plenty of headspace for any big weather changes or a wine that decides it wants to go crazy in secondary. Rack some of each one off into smaller bottles and you can use them to top off when you get back, or by then you should be able to at least sample them. Arne.

Thanks everyone. Done with work for the day so to the wine room I go

Latest posts

Back