Mosti Mondiale when to fortify bodega

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atacama23

Junior
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to posting but I have been reading.
When do you all recommend fortify your port? It would seem after clarification and racking.
Also when do you choose to bulk age? After the clarification and racking?
Which leads to do you bulk age after adding the everclear and brandy or do you add the everclear and brandy just prior to bottling like the extracts (chocolate extracts) and age it in the bottle.
Thanks for any help.

I have fortified some port and some I just left as is....Your choice.....I read somewhere [post or book] that when fortifing a wine or port that you may get some more sediment from your wine....with that advise, I have bulk aged for another 6 weeks or so....some dropped some sediment others didn't....Hope this helps...Good luck

I just added the flavoring pack to my La Bodega Port. As a result, I have two bottles of the port wine without the flavoring that I removed before adding the flavoring pack. Wow, the wine has quite a kick. While I was originally contemplating fortifying this wine, I'm not sure I will now given the kick it already has.

Mine is a year old now and really starting to come around, I feel it doesnt need to be fortified either but havent tried it either so ya never know.

I have two Bodegas now in theirsecond week of bulk aging,and am curious how those of you who have tasted Bodega around this point would describe it.

It clearly has all kinds of potential and I can see why George has contemplated tryinga batchwithout the F-pack. Right now, Iam bulkaging various Megliolis, AllJuice Masters Edition and AllJuice original wines among others, but I don't think any of them have anything on the Bodega (at this moment in their development).

They seem very astringent to me and I'm curious if that's normal, and if so, how quickly will theydevelop.

The All Juices take 9-12 months to develop. We have had a lot of experience with them and they just need time. They are worth the wait.

Fortify at bottling. BTW, we have made the port both with fortification and without and what we learned was, "you can't screw this wine up".

I fortified with apricot brandy when I added the f-pack.

Next time I make this kit I will probably not fortify with a flavored spirit. It tastes very very good as I made it this time, but the apricot flavor came through more than I would have desired. I'll probably use everclear next time.

Latest posts

Back