WineXpert When to check gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCal1952

Reaction score
Hello all!

First thing, I am new to using one of these conical vessels for making wine, but my question should still hold true no matter what equipment you use. The instructions on these kits are vague. I started this Barolo wine on 4/11/15 and the instructions say after 5 - 7 days check gravity and if it isn't at 1.010 or less then leave it in the primary fermentor until it reaches this point.
My question is; The airlock is still very actively bubbling which means it is still fermenting, correct? This is day 5 and I am not sure if I should disturb the must at this point or wait until it stops bubbling?

Thanks
Joe

Last edited:
In the primary ferment stage, have fun. You can't really do much to hurt it. Stir it, check SG, whatever - you're fine. Disturb away. Keep track of your temps along the way.

I'm a newbie, too. So, don't take my word for it. I think I read every thread on here re: fermentation do's and don'ts. You should too.

In the primary ferment stage, have fun. You can't really do much to hurt it. Stir it, check SG, whatever - you're fine. Disturb away. Keep track of your temps along the way.

I'm a newbie, too. So, don't take my word for it. I think I read every thread on here re: fermentation do's and don'ts. You should too.

Thanks JG....I read as much as I could but since I bought this new equipment things are a bit different so I want to make sure I don't spoil anything - I suppose since it is still bubbling I can't do any harm because that's all CO2 in there, not oxygen. I'll wait for more replies or wait till day 7.
Thanks!

Most folks here will say you will have less issues at the start of fermentation, if you do not have an airlock. There is plenty of CO2 at you point out and the yeast would really like to have plenty of oxygen.

For me, with kits, if given a choice as to more time and an SG reading I always go with me time. So wait until day 7. I might even go further and say you are already under airlock, why not wait until the SG fully drops to its final value? Nothing really to be gained by racking it for you.

I do juice buckets and "disturb" the must twice daily!! Helps get rid of CO2 and keeps things in suspension to facilitate the fermentation. As jgmann said, it's hard to hurt it at this stage

Most folks here will say you will have less issues at the start of fermentation, if you do not have an airlock. There is plenty of CO2 at you point out and the yeast would really like to have plenty of oxygen.

For me, with kits, if given a choice as to more time and an SG reading I always go with me time. So wait until day 7. I might even go further and say you are already under airlock, why not wait until the SG fully drops to its final value? Nothing really to be gained by racking it for you.

With this kit you start off with an airlock. There is no racking of wine. It is a closed unit with a collection ball on the bottom. You remove the collection ball when the primary fermentation stops then you reattach it and open the valve to drop more sediment and start secondary fermentation. It looks like this.

v_vessel_fermenter.gif

The principals are the same. There really is no need for the airlock in the primary ferment. Although the fast ferment has it's merits it can only be used for juice fermentations and is inadequate for fruit wine. Yeast works in two phases Aerobic fermentation, during which yeast develops and reproduces in the presence of oxygen. This phase is important to produce adequate numbers of healthy yeasties to properly ferment your wine. At this stage the yeast needs Oxygen to properly grow, and Anaerobic fermentation, At which time the yeast produces alcohol in the absence of oxygen.

When an airlock is installed at the onset of fermentation yeast devours oxygen from the must quickly. The resulting cO2 drives all O2 from the fermenter, and the O2 starved yeast produces alcohol. Although we usually provide stuffiest yeast to complete the ferment, quite often the health of the yeast determines the outcome of the ferment. Toward the end of the ferment O2 deprived yeast may create off flavors. . It may not be necessary to stir your must during the primary But I do believe that opening the lid to check SG and such daily, allowing the cO2 to disperse and O2 to contact the must makes for healthier yeast and allows it to ferment the wine a bit cooler. At the end, That last 15 points of SG or so is the time to get it off the gross lees and lock it down, to end the cycle gracefully.
Then again I am not a scientist, just someone who has been doing this a while.

Last edited:
Thank you!!!!

The principals are the same. There really is no need for the airlock in the primary ferment. Although the fast ferment has it's merits it can only be used for juice fermentations and is inadequate for fruit wine. Yeast works in two phases Aerobic fermentation, during which yeast develops and reproduces in the presence of oxygen. This phase is important to produce adequate numbers of healthy yeasties to properly ferment your wine. At this stage the yeast needs Oxygen to properly grow, and Anaerobic fermentation, At which time the yeast produces alcohol in the absence of oxygen.
When an airlock is installed at the onset of fermentation yeast devours oxygen from the must quickly. The resulting cO2 drives all O2 from the fermenter, and the O2 starved yeast produces alcohol. Although we usually provide stuffiest yeast to complete the ferment, quite often the health of the yeast determines the outcome of the ferment. Toward the end of the ferment O2 deprived yeast may create off flavors. . It may not be necessary to stir your must during the primary But I do believe that opening the lid to check SG and such daily, allowing the cO2 to disperse and O2 to contact the must makes for healthier yeast and allows it to ferment the wine a bit cooler. At the end, That last 15 points of SG or so is the time to get it off the gross lees and lock it down, to end the cycle gracefully.
Then again I am not a scientist, just someone who has been doing this a while.

Bergmann:
What you say makes a lot of sense. I will check it at this point - I already made one batch of barolo in this vessel and it is young, but very tasty - That needs to age quite a while before ready though - no off flavors at all. Thank you very much!!! You are quite helpful!

OK - I checked the SG and it is already at 1.000. Instead of removing the collection ball at this time which would also remove all the oak chips and yeast, I will leave it sit until fermentation stops per vendor instructions. At that time the collection ball gets removed and sanitized and replaced. I then stir the wine to restart the fermentation process and let it sit 10 days. Check gravity again and it should be 0.990. Degas the wine, remove the ball and wait and wait an additional 1 - 2 weeks and bottle. My original question was answered...I wasn't sure if I could disturb the primary fermentation and Bergmann, you and others cleared that up for me.
Thank you once again!

Last edited:
Side note: I'd advise purging that collection ball with an inert gas, heavier than air, like CO2. Otherwise when you reconnect your empty ball you'll be bubbling air right up through your wine. Personally, something I want to avoid.

Thanks!

Side note: I'd advise purging that collection ball with an inert gas, heavier than air, like CO2. Otherwise when you reconnect your empty ball you'll be bubbling air right up through your wine. Personally, something I want to avoid.

Thanks - I had already done that early this morning before I read your post. I am glad you posted this because it reassures me I did the right thing. I tested the SG this morning because the bubbling had stopped and I am at 0.992 and started at 1.090. Now it sits for about 10 days and I drain that ball again and degas. After that, I actually can bottle it but I usually let it sit another 2 weeks...First batch came great - hopefully this will as well.

Latest posts

Back