Whats up with my wine and...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlmood77

Junior
Reaction score
where do I go from here?

I have two gallons of jelly wine going (one Blackberry and one Cherry/Strawberry) I left it on the lees for a month cause life got in the way. Tonight I racked it off and testing the SG both went up from the previous readings.

Blackberry- 1.093(1-24-11) 1.160 (2-25-11)
Cherry/Strawberry- 1.092 (1-24-11) 1.140 (2-25-11)

So why has the SG gone up and what do I do about it?

3lbs jelly
H20 to 1 gal
2 tsp Acid Blend
1/8 tsp Tannin
1 tsp Nutrient
3/4 tsp Pectic enzyme
Cote des Blancs

Appears that you had undisolved sugar during the first reading.

I am confused though, you started at 1.093, fermented and now it's 1.160 If anything it may have rose but the yeast should have eaten that all up giving you a higher ABV. (Unless the yeast couldn't handle the high alcohol content.

Mystery to me too

IMO you are reading the hydrometer wrong! Its either at 1.060 and 1.040 or even 1.006 and 1.004. There is no way you started with what you did and ended up with what you did. Just not possible and still have fermentation as it would have been way tooooooo high for the yeast to even do anything! Please try and retake your sg. Is the hydrometer floating realllly high or pretty low? Most hydrometers sop at about 1.160 so it ould barely even be in the wine at that high of an sg.

This has never happened to me, so I can only guess. It doesn't sound possible unless no fermentation occurred and the increase in s.g. is due to pectin, sugar, or some other matter that has thickened the must. First thing I would do is taste it. Does it taste alcoholic or fermented? Does it still taste sweet or is it dry? If it tastes like it's fermented and/or dry, then I think you've got an error in your readings.

Fred

Well I feel like a complete :slp I did indeed read it wrong
It is 1.016 and 1.014

So now the questions have changed.

Is it stuck?
as far as the mold - is it because it sat on the lees so long?\
How do I tell if it has mold?
Smells and tastes the same as all my others that were at this point.

Thanks Wade for :slp

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back