What's on your table from the garden?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
I know that I have shown these before but they are just so good and made from squash fresh picked from the garden.

Parmesan Yellow Squash Patties:
Excellent dipped in Ranch dressing....but what isn't.
20070626_171805_100_2033_Small.jpg

Ok, here is the recipe....just what I throw together:

I chop the squash and onions( alot of onions give it a goodflavor)in the food processer, not real fine about like chopped cabbage for cole slaw.
then I add an egg, a spoon of mayonaise, flour, seasonings,,,cayene if you want. parsley a little oregano,parmesan cheese.
Mix until it is the consistancy of a thick pancake batter.
Fry in about a half inch of oil until brown and crispy and sprinkle with more parmesan.

About the loon: The loon has a nostalgic meaning to me. I love them. We used to go to a lake in Canada every summer growing up and seeing and listening to the loons is one of my favorite memories. So I also have a wooden loon that my dad bought for each of us girls as a momento of those days at the lake.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: rgecaprock

Only thing ready here yet is strawberries and lettuce. Peas any day and cukes pretty close. It will be a few weeks and we will be flooded in the yearly abundance.

Side note: I didn't know they had Loons in Texas! There are quite a few up here and in Vermont. I bet NW and JW also have some where they are.

Those look Great Ramona, can you post the recipe? We have tones of yellow squash this year, I think one of my Zucchini seed packs were marked incorrectly or something but I have 15 yellow squash and 2 zucchini plants. We had a recipe tonight that the neighbor gave us, it's cut up summer sguash with breakfast sausage (fried), egg, milk, halopinio cheez-it's crushed up and cheese on top, Bake till it's all done and eat. Sounds strange but it's really good.

Have huge tomato plants, lots of buds, no tomatos................ sigh...........

We're having beet greens - Pluck the beet when they are about 1" in diameter, greens and all. Wash well and remove all limp or dead stems. Boil with a little chopped onion and vinegar. Cook for about 20 to 30minutes.

Picked about a gallon of raspberries so far and starting to get blackberries (about 35 pounds so far).

mmmmmmm. That all sounds great. I see a batch of balckberry wine coming up in Jobes future-maybe another port!

Jobe cut back on the nitrogen in the tomatoes. If you mulch with compost, cut back on it. Too much nitrogen boosts tomato vegetation ans slows fruit set. When I used to grow 30,000 tomato plants I would make sure N-P-K were in a 1-2-2 ratio. That gives you the best tomatoes with the best flavors. That includes all sources of nitrogen, including organic sources. End of lesson.

I just noticed Jobe- this was post 1500 for me! Not sure when I put that many in here
smiley36.gif
Edited by: appleman

1500!!!!! Congrats
smiley32.gif

You probably right on the nitrogen. I usually do a dose of 10-10-10 about 30 after planting the plants. This year I noticed that the 17-17-17 was just a dollar more for a 50 pond bag so I figured I would use it, but just use less......... I didn't..........
smiley5.gif

OH Yea........ that Blackberries......

Long story short: One of the guys who works for me knows a redkneck that is bored and will pick me as many 5 gallon buckets full of berries as I want this year......... FOR FREE!!!!!

Plus one of the other guys loves my blackberry wine (and port) and said that he would pick the berries if I would help him make the wine. So he is the one that as picked the 35 pounds so far. 105 more pounds and we can each make a batch of wine and port, we'll get there.

That looks so good...will have to try it later this summer.

Loons are the state bird of Minnesots...they sell everything with loons on it.

So far from the garden we have had...asparagus, lettuce, radish, swiss chard, turnips, baby potatoes and the first of the broccolli...lots of strawberries...etc. etc.

Soon we will be vegetarians for awhile.

Back