What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably the last wine club delivery til the weather cools down in November. Always look forward to the Long Shadows releases, 2018 Feather Cabernet and 2018 Pirouette (“Bordeaux style”) Blend.
LS always includes some numbers on the wines, and I like seeing them. Feather weighs in at 14.9% ABV, pH 3.93, TA .51, Pirouette 14.9% ABV, pH 3.85, TA .34. The blend is 68% Cab, 22% Merlot, 10% PV. Both wines normally rate in the mid 90’s, haven’t seen any reviews yet, and I t’ll be a couple years before starting to taste them.

273ADE09-FC27-442D-B1C6-76E64C676F52.jpeg

Probably the last wine club delivery til the weather cools down in November. Always look forward to the Long Shadows releases, 2018 Feather Cabernet and 2018 Pirouette (“Bordeaux style”) Blend.
LS always includes some numbers on the wines, and I like seeing them. Feather weighs in at 14.9% ABV, pH 3.93, TA .51, Pirouette 14.9% ABV, pH 3.85, TA .34. The blend is 68% Cab, 22% Merlot, 10% PV. Both wines normally rate in the mid 90’s, haven’t seen any reviews yet, and I t’ll be a couple years before starting to taste them.

View attachment 74186

Admiring the wines, but also geeking out on the art behind them!

What I did with 33% off...

IMG_2209.jpg

UNDER EDIT: From left – Pedestal 2017 Merlot, JS 95, RP 94; Abadia Retuerta 2016 Selecion Especiale (75% Tempranillo, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Syrah, 3% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot), JS 95, RP 93; and K Vintner 2017 The Hidden Syrah, JS 98, JD 97. All now in the cellar. And I found new coupons in the box. :D

Last edited:
Last night's sips. In my book, for $16-$19 a bottle, you just can't beat Chateau Clos du Roy from Fronsac. Philippe makes a rich, dense, supple wine, with a merlot base, MLF, and solid mostly old oak aging that beckons rather than commands. This is the 2016 (90 points) but the 2018 now on offer got 93 and 91 and 90. You can lay a case of this down for 5-10 years and it will just get better and better. Until recently, I had some that was seven years old in the cellar. What a delight. This fall, I plan to stock some 2018 alongside the 2016 if it is still available.

IMG_2225.jpg

@crushday got me thinking about old bottles in my Cellar that should be drunk soon.

These are my oldest. All stored properly since they came into my possession. I think the Columbia Crest has the better chance of being in excellent condition since it was actually a club selection one time from Columbia Crest when I was a member years ago. The Montelena was sitting in a local wine store in Santa fe and they had dropped the price down from like $90 to $70. According to CT I picked it up back in July 2009 so it was out on the shelf for quite some time before it came into my possession. Latest reviews from other owners are promising that it is still good.

Anyone else got some well aged beauties that have a little "dust on the bottle"? Post em up!

1627133364777.jpeg

Last edited:
Thursday I toured 7 wineries in the NY Finger Lakes with family. I wanted to visit Wagner (right) as we had a great visit there 2 years ago, and Bagley's Poplar Ridge (left) as I knew the owner (sadly, he's passed away).

We were disappointed with most of the reds we tasted -- light in color, body, and flavor. This is quite a change from our last visit. However, Chateau Lafayette Reneau's reds were consistently very good.

Poplar Ridge's Seyval-Chardonnay was the best one of that blend we tasted -- several wineries are doing it, and while all do it well, this was a standout. It's 60/40 Seyval/Chardonnay, which is roughly what they other wineries used as a ratio.

Ditto for Wagner's Gewurztraminer -- many Finger Lakes wineries do good Gewurz, but Wagner's dry has an intense aroma followed by lots of flavor. In contrast, their semi-dry was dull. [My wife, who doesn't drink much, is going to ask me why I didn't buy more when she tastes this one.]

Finger Lakes Wines.jpg

Last edited:
I know a few folks here are fans of the Caymus Grand Durif from Suisun Valley. I just got an email from Bounty Hunter with a 50% off code. It's for the 2018 vintage, which they say is normally $60 and now $29.95. Use code CAYMUSFLASH. Not sure if this is a great deal or not, but thought I'd pass it along (looks like it's $49.99 at Total Wine).

Back