What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen it at Costco in WA State but that's about it. Yea the $10 and free shipping to to boot is a steal. I did snag a seis pack at that price.

Been a fan of Avennia wines (WA) for a long time. A couple years ago they went all in for some of the blocks from the new WeatherEye Vineyard site on the top and backside of Red Mountain AVA. What's interesting aside from the potential for some amazing wines is that when they approved the Red Mountain AVA years ago they never thought about anyone wanting to plant grapes on the backside (North facing) of the hill. The AVA stops along the ridgeline on the south side basically. Well now that Red Mountain on the southside is all spoken for the Northside is being looked at in a "why not" fashion. Mostly Rhone varietals are being planted with a block or two of cab suav. The northside of Red Mountain is technically the Columbia Valley AVA which is huge and the largest AVA in WA State.

Liminal is the name of the new winery with all fruit made from WeatherEye Vineyard. Wines are made by the same winemaker at Avennia (Chris Peterson). I jumped into the allocation list (surprise LOL) and have purchased the GSM blend for both 2018 and 2019. Won't pop a cork for at least 3 years or more. It's interesting to look at the site and the potential for what it may bring in 10 years. It helps to be a Microsoft Millionaire it looks like as that is where the deep pockets came from for both Avennia and WeatherEye!

1644256501504.png

Cool drone shots of the WeatherEye vineyard.......

https://liminalwine.com/the-vineyard
1644257042946.png

WeatherEye is the triangle (top center).

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 9.24.50 AM.png

Last edited:
JOY! I finally scrounged enough to find some of this at a hole-in-the-wall Missouri liquor store that will ship a case of Chateau Mayne-Vieil Fronsac to me. On the way. Just blew up the last of the spring wine budget on this one. Worth it. Punches above the price, for sure.

ieWXaETER1-ust4RycvapQ_pb_x600.png

From left, Ancient Peaks Paso Robles Merlot 2019 (Tasting Panel, 93); Stags' Leap Winery Petit Syrah 2018 (James Suckling 97) and Yalumba Samuels Collection Barossa Shiraz 2018 (Decanter 93, James Suckling 91, Wilfred Wong, 90)

IMG_2623.JPG

Not pictured above because it was in the bottom of the box and I didn't see it until I was storing it in the cellar, Chateau La Bastienne Montagne St.-Emillion Bordeaux 2018 (James Suckling 93, Wilfred Wong 92, Robert Palmer's successors 90).

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.25.44 PM.png

The box arrived like this, so I was a little concerned at first...

IMG_2620.JPG

The answer is -- I don't know yet.

MotW.jpg

A company I do business with gave me a free virtual tasting with Masters of the World. This is a blind tasting, so other than knowing I have 2 whites and 4 reds, I have no idea what's in the bottles. While I can pull the cover labels off, that negates the "blind" part of the tasting.

I checked the site -- a kit is $100 USD, which reduces to $80 with a subscription. A set with a live virtual tasting is $100. I have no idea why anyone would buy the kit and not get the virtual tasting, as they are the same price.

My son is sharing the tasting with me, and my wife wants to try the whites (she's not a red drinker).

From left, Ancient Peaks Paso Robles Merlot 2019 (Tasting Panel, 93); Stags' Leap Winery Petit Syrah 2018 (James Suckling 97) and Yalumba Samuels Collection Barossa Shiraz 2018 (Decanter 93, James Suckling 91, Wilfred Wong, 90)

View attachment 84752

Not pictured above because it was in the bottom of the box and I didn't see it until I was storing it in the cellar, Chateau La Bastienne Montagne St.-Emillion Bordeaux 2018 (James Suckling 93, Wilfred Wong 92, Robert Palmer's successors 90).

View attachment 84753

The box arrived like this, so I was a little concerned at first...

View attachment 84754

I think an important fellow like you needs a personal taster. You never know when a bottle could be tainted!

The answer is -- I don't know yet.

View attachment 84771

A company I do business with gave me a free virtual tasting with Masters of the World. This is a blind tasting, so other than knowing I have 2 whites and 4 reds, I have no idea what's in the bottles. While I can pull the cover labels off, that negates the "blind" part of the tasting.

I checked the site -- a kit is $100 USD, which reduces to $80 with a subscription. A set with a live virtual tasting is $100. I have no idea why anyone would buy the kit and not get the virtual tasting, as they are the same price.

My son is sharing the tasting with me, and my wife wants to try the whites (she's not a red drinker).
I received one of those for Christmas and really enjoyed the process! My daughter and her boyfriend went to school at the culinary and know and like the sommelier. They have tasting boxes with wines from different areas of the world. Mine was from North America Vineyards / Wineries. Enjoy!

I received one of those for Christmas and really enjoyed the process! My daughter and her boyfriend went to school at the culinary and know and like the sommelier. They have tasting boxes with wines from different areas of the world. Mine was from North America Vineyards / Wineries. Enjoy!
This is great to know! I figured it would be a good experience. I've been through wine tastings before, but my son has not, so it should be an excellent experience for him as well.

Well, these are no longer in my cellar -- the virtual tasting was last night.

My elder son sat through the tasting with me, and my wife sat in for the first two, which are whites. The sommelier, Madeline Triffon, not only knew her stuff, she presented it well. My son and I really enjoyed the presentation. The wines were as large a cross-section as could be made in 6 wines:

Drew Family Wines, California
2019 Valenti Ranch Viognier
13.5% ABV

Domaine Des Baumard, France
2018 Savennieres (Chenin Blanc)
13.0% ABV

Domaine des Marrans, France
2019 Les Marrans Fleurie (Gamay)
13.0% ABV

Echolands, Walla Walla Valley, Washington
2018 Les Collines Vinyard Syrah
13.5% ABV

Faustino, Spain
2010 Gran Reserva Rioja (86% Tempranillo, 9% Graciano, 5% Mazuelo)
13.5% ABV

Obsidian Ridge, California
2019 Estate Grown Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Hills
14.8% ABV

wine tasting.jpg

Latest posts

Back