What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said you had to suffer a week in sunny, warm, San Diego and I jokingly said "pics or it never happened". ;)

The meme is funny, but I don't understand what I am supposed to photographically prove. That (tongue-in-cheek) Milwaukee is beautiful and I suffered through lobster in San Diego?

You said you had to suffer a week in sunny, warm, San Diego and I jokingly said "pics or it never happened". ;)

Okay then!

I shoulds't have thought that the photographic evidence, which had previously been evinced in post #13353, would have sufficed (except for the unfortunately poor lighting! :) ). Now then, prithee, I present NEW photographic evidence of the culinary debaucherey, which may, or may not, contain photographic evidence of my sister-in-law, of whom I am greatly smitten, as well as my DW. Also in evidence is a slab of Bluefin tuna, two spiny lobsters, lots of decadent fries, some cheap Chardonnay, a pitcher of Modelo, and a fleeting peek at Mission Bay. :) 🦞

🐟🍻🍷🍟

IMG_5112.JPG

Tonight's fare was roasted Brussels sprouts; sauteed/braised Swiss chard (onions, coriander); green beans (butter, Cambazola blue cheese); roasted broccoli (EVOO, Italian seasoning, garlic, gochugaru pepper); baked sweet potato; pan-roasted shiitake mushroom caps (EVOO, garlic, parsley); and Alaskan King salmon, seared hard but served rare, smothered in a beurre rouge sauce (shallots, reduced red wine and balsamic vinegar, tarragon, and more butter than the USDA recommends in a month).

IMG_5118.JPG

Tonight's fare was roasted Brussels sprouts; sauteed/braised Swiss chard (onions, coriander); green beans (butter, Cambazola blue cheese); roasted broccoli (EVOO, Italian seasoning, garlic, gochugaru pepper); baked sweet potato; pan-roasted shiitake mushroom caps (EVOO, garlic, parsley); and Alaskan King salmon, seared hard but served rare, smothered in a beurre rouge sauce (shallots, reduced red wine and balsamic vinegar, tarragon, and more butter than the USDA recommends in a month).

View attachment 108540
Nice to see you back. I was getting concerned that you may have gotten a feeding tube and it felt like too touchy of a subject to encourage your posts...
😂

Looks damn good!

My mechanic asked me what I could tell him about dual bevel miter saws in the $300-800 range. I told him that I have wanted to upgrade my old Milwaukee for years. He bit on the $300 price tag for the saw, gravity stand, and a stack of blades. I upgraded to the Bosch gravity stand and the Makita LS1019L.

The only thing this has to do with dinner is how I ended up near the Costco Business Center. Most everything you would expect from Costco, with a whole restaurants worth of deep fryers, griddles, range tops, utensils, and ultra bulk sized everything. The meat and dairy sections were completely different. Bricks and rounds of cheese, which was hard not to lose myself in. Whole hanging lamb. Had it been a pig these pics would have been of a pig roast!

The selection of chef's knives was good, too. The only reason I didn't come home with a new Wustof was because I knew I would be back.... And cheese.

I came home with a whole strip loin, a whole rib eye, a couple of picnic roasts to brine into ham, and this beautiful tomahawk.

The last time I went to the local butcher it was close to $50 for an inch and a quarter rib eye steak. And I do mean the LAST time. The tomahawk was 48 oz and $47.. Fed two with enough left over for some amazing carnitas or something equally exciting for tomorrow;s dinner.

I love steak and I love roast, but the mix of the two with a succulent medium and charred outside is a treat of its own. Topped with garlic herb butter, and served with a baked potato, beet, chimichurri, and a salad.

No pictures, once it hit the plate I had tunnel vision.

tom3.jpgtom2.jpgtom1.jpg

People have been eating well lately.

Nothing fancy tonight. Threw a couple birds on the grill (if you're doing one, you may as well do a second for leftovers while the grill is going). Roasted broccoli and some creamy parmesan rotini on the side.

IMG_1125.jpeg

Nothing fancy tonight. Threw a couple birds on the grill (if you're doing one, you may as well do a second for leftovers while the grill is going). Roasted broccoli and some creamy parmesan rotini on the side.

View attachment 108671
Is that a Thermopro TempSpike I see??? I bought a Thermopro Lightning and found it to be 4° off. They replaced it, but the replacement is at least 2° off in boiling water. Not great for a thermometer that's supposed be accurate within one half degree.

I’ve been busy and haven’t posted in a while. My birthday dinner a few nights ago. I didn’t get a photo of the plate, but steak and lobster with tiramisu made by my son’s girlfriend for dessert. It was excellent.
Washed down with FWK Chardonnay and FWK Southern Rhône.
IMG_3462.jpegIMG_3463.jpegIMG_3459.jpeg.

Last edited:
It isn't for tonight, but I just vac-packed 15.5 pounds of sale-priced choice prime rib, cut into generous 1-1/2 inch steaks. It's the gift that will keep on giving! If ya like your steaks rare or medium rare, keep an eye out now for on-sale marbled prime rib. It won't roll around on sale again until Easter. Kroger and Publix here both are running sales. Limit is 2, but the one of the two I selected was like 2 feet long. :D

The separated ribs are delicious slow-cooked off-heat on a grill. The Weber does well. I season and foil wrap mine, slathering butter all around them and popping an ice cube on top before sealing. Then when they are fall-apart done, I unwrap and grill to add bark and tighten slightly. Add sauce if desired. Leftovers can be stripped from the bones, mixed with a bit of your favorite BBQ sauce, and then eaten in delicious rib sandwiches. Geez, my mouth is watering...

IMG_3609.JPG

View attachment 108671
Sorry, Gotta ask. I'm in the market for a remote thermometer like yours. What brand, and are you happy?

Sorry, Gotta ask. I'm in the market for a remote thermometer like yours. What brand, and are you happy?

It's a Meater+. Overall, I'm happy with it, but I would like to have better bluetooth range on it. A new Meater 2 Plus was recently released and they claim the range is much better. In addition, so are the temp thresholds and it is also supposedly waterproof and can be used in sous vide or deep frying.

https://www.meater.com/

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone!

Been moping around all weekend, got a nasty respiratory cold on Friday, been Zicam-ing and salt water gargling all weekend, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel today (I'm actually drinking a beer). Got a renewal to my beloved restaurant store I love plus a couple of 8" personal pizza pans for a present. Had some frozen extra dough from previous pizza nights, so had to thaw one and try it out.

Needed to rise a bit more in the pan, a little dense, but still very good, and crust didn't stick in the pan since I pre-seasoned them earlier this morning. Yum!

12-25-23_pan-pizza.jpg

This was the start of Christmas dinner for my wife and myself. Ribeye steaks, then we added lemon butter shrimp and broiled lobster tails, no pictures of that part. That's just a we nip of Balvenie Double wood Scotch and a wonderful blend called Torrent the Winery my bonus son married into. PXL_20231225_230722143.jpg

Christmas Eve dinner started with bacon wrapped scallops with mustard maple cream sauce -- 5 ingredients: bacon, scallops, heavy cream, Dijon mustard, & maple syrup.

scallops.jpg

Dinner was balsamic glazed salmon, fresh bread, and green beans. Very simple dinner.

salmon.jpg

Today's dinner was baked ham, fresh bread, spaghetti squash, and a green salad. Another simple dinner.

Latest posts

Back