What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is tonight's fare, with a special picture for @JohnT : I found a so-so but Mike-approved Kroger Woo-hoo T-bone. I dry-brined it, and took a picture of the salt for John.
I also came across Maitake (or Hen-of-the-Woods) mushrooms on sale. I was torn between two preparations, so I tried them both: half roasted in oven with thyme, garlic, and EVOO, and the other half seared on the stovetop with EVOO and garlic. (Report below.)
I am batching it tonight, so I made eggplant (that DW does not like). I salted that ~1/2 hour, rinsed, then baked it at 400F with a topping of garlic/EVOO/parsley (recipe from Mark Bittman). Also made plain, ol' baked redskin potatoes.
Report on dinner: I made errors, it appears with the mushrooms. The half I roasted was way too salty, despite my barely thinking I threw some salt on. The half I seared was not seasoned enough. They were both tasty; it helped for me to eat just some of each in every bite. I was not so familiar with Maitake/Hen-of-Woods 'shrooms; I was pleased -- they had a pretty intense flavor. The eggplant turned out a bit salty, too, but not too bad. Beef was fine, but noting to write home about.

I always have a big box of that Morton Kosher on hand.

2017.10%2BKroger%2Bdiscount%2Bsticker.jpg

Where did you find the shrooms Paul? Nice find!

Here is tonight's fare, with a special picture for @JohnT : I found a so-so but Mike-approved Kroger Woo-hoo T-bone. I dry-brined it, and took a picture of the salt for John.
I also came across Maitake (or Hen-of-the-Woods) mushrooms on sale. I was torn between two preparations, so I tried them both: half roasted in oven with thyme, garlic, and EVOO, and the other half seared on the stovetop with EVOO and garlic. (Report below.)
I am batching it tonight, so I made eggplant (that DW does not like). I salted that ~1/2 hour, rinsed, then baked it at 400F with a topping of garlic/EVOO/parsley (recipe from Mark Bittman). Also made plain, ol' baked redskin potatoes.
Report on dinner: I made errors, it appears with the mushrooms. The half I roasted was way too salty, despite my barely thinking I threw some salt on. The half I seared was not seasoned enough. They were both tasty; it helped for me to eat just some of each in every bite. I was not so familiar with Maitake/Hen-of-Woods 'shrooms; I was pleased -- they had a pretty intense flavor. The eggplant turned out a bit salty, too, but not too bad. Beef was fine, but noting to write home about.

View attachment 47617 View attachment 47616 View attachment 47618 View attachment 47619 View attachment 47620

THOSE MUSHROOMS THOUGH! YUM!

I used some portobello shrooms in mine (fresh not canned), sweated in some european style butter and EVOO, with some fresh asparagus, yellow and red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, more garlic, diced grape tomatoes, some chicken stock, lot's of Romano cheese and some diced hot peppers. I think I threw in some Italian seasoning, not much though. At the very end I remembered I had a freshly grilled chicken breast from last night in the fridge, so diced that up. Used some not so fresh, fresh pasta (linguini), little on the dry side but cooked up nicely (original reason I did a pasta dish, to use up that pasta). Kids had chicken nuggets (only had the two youngest, Mommy and the oldest not home for dinner), but in the end I really liked my pasta dish (and my cold beer). Burrrrp...

Tonight's secret ingredient must be mushrooms.

3-27-18_pasta-primavera.jpg

Breaded some thin sliced chicken breast in Panko and Italian style breadcrumbs. My 8 year old sautéed them up in the pan with a little EVOO. Cooked up some angel hair and as a final touch, threw some plum tomatoes and olives into the chicken pan with some more EVOO and just a touch of pickle juice (I wanted to use capers, but didn't have any). Then threw it all on a platter with a final touch of olive oil and Parm. Yum!IMG_6374.JPG

Had to cook and eat very quickly, so a limited effort. I am not going all @GreginND on you, but I had lots of leftover beef at lunch and decided to vedge it tonight. Sorry the pix are not good. I made sauteed broccoli rabe (or rapini or broccoli raab, depending on your spelling preference). Lots of EVOO, some "vitamin G," braised in sherry, red pepper flakes, and shredded fontina cheese. The 'taters were a simple leftover baked potato, sliced then browned in EVOO.

Sorry, Greg, but I must admit I am starving now! :)

DSCN1090.jpg

What's for dinner? I am not really sure!

This is something like pasta fagioli (or "pasta fazool" for the initiated). I started soaking a pot of fagioli beans last night. Unfortunately, I got stuck at work until waaaay late. I bought a pork shoulder chop on the way home; I quickly browned that, then threw it in with the fagioli to simmer/tenderize. Meanwhile, I threw various veggies (sauteed onions, Vitamin G) and seasonings (fresh thyme, lots of red pepper, marjoram, coriander, fennel) in with the beans & meat, and let that simmer away for ~1 hour. I also bought mustard greens; I am always on the fence about whether to blanch them to reduce the bitterness or to just dive in. Tonight, I decided to blanch ('cause I had hot water for the pasta anyway!); I sauteed an onion, and then a lot of garlic, then added the blanched mustard greens, some EVOO, and some butter (just because!). Boiled up some whole-wheat pasta shells. (Digression: I am 100% convinced that whole-wheat products are much better for us, but Jeez I hate 'em compared to nice, soft, normal pasta! ;) )

After all these travails, plopped it on a plate and tucked into the groceries, and it was pretty danged good! Not the best thing you ever had, and kinda late to boot, but satisfying.

DSCN1095.jpg

Wifey is at class (lecture followed by a lab), so no dinner for her. Oldest daughter is at a friends house (she owns a car, so I think she's my daughter's favorite, for some reason) and informed me she wouldn't be home for dinner. Made up 20 oz of turkey taco meat the other night, so youngest had a hot dog (what else), younger son made two quesadillas (looked pretty good). I used some of the meat in a small batch of chili for tomorrows lunch (red onion, portabella shrooms, various peppers, lot's of spices, black beans, can of rotell style tomatoes (medium type)). Had just enough meat left to cook up a small batch of nachos. Just finished them and had to wipe my eyes from the sweat rolling of my head, so I guess I added a few too many habaneros (or maybe just enough). Either way the beer tasted even better after eating the nachos (Rolling Rock). Yum!

Sorry for the color balance in the image, had to use the cell phone camera. Old 2001 Sony DSC camera's battery seems to be dying again. Probably won't replace it, just get a new camera (thinking a cheaper Canon that I can use my EF lenses with, like the EOS-70D).

3-29-18_nachos.jpg

Last edited:
Odd pairing tonight. Picked up some kielbasa and pencil-thin asparagus. For the veg, I sauteed shallots and some ginger in lots of butter, then added strips of Maitake/Hen-of-the-Woods mushrooms and 'sparagrass pieces. Sauteed that for a while, then added a healthy dose of sherry to finish the cooking. Weird combo, but it went down the hole easy enough.
DSCN1096.jpg DSCN1098.jpg

Supposed to get into the high 50's today. Right now it's beautiful sweatshirt type weather, not a cloud in the sky (wind is picking up a bit, but I'm in a protected area (beer sanctuary)). Watched some videos the last few days on doing ribs on the Weber kettle grill. Went with the fuse or snake method and some pecan chunks distributed throughout. Can't wait for this evenings dinner. I'm down in the basement typing this post and smelling the pecan essence on my sweatshirt. Time to head up for another beer and check the temperature since I only put the ribs on 30 minutes ago. Aim to keep it around 225 to 250*F, just not sure if the wind will be strong enough where I have it set up to make me constantly adjust the vents or not. This fuse method is supposed to minimize it for most of the cook.

FYI, the smaller set of ribs must have been something that didn't fit on the grill during an earlier cook, so tossed them on for some variety (I really don't even know what rub I used, but it looks and smells pretty good, looks pepper and rosemary based.

3-31-2018_ribs-1.jpg

Follow up: Ribs turned out great. Only issue was a bit too much "browning" due to the fact that I visited my brother (about a mile away) and didn't wrap the ribs when I wanted to, so got a little overdone on the outside, but still great flavor. Tender but didn't fall off the bone, so perfectly done in my book. Also would add one less chunk of pecan wood, just a bit too smokey for the kids, but they still ate it anyway. I would not complain if served these ribs in a restaurant.

3-31-2018_ribs-2.jpg 3-31-2018_ribs-3.jpg

No such thing as "too much smokey"! Especially if using Pecan!

Follow up: Ribs turned out great. Only issue was a bit too much "browning" due to the fact that I visited my brother (about a mile away) and didn't wrap the ribs when I wanted to, so got a little overdone on the outside, but still great flavor. Tender but didn't fall off the bone, so perfectly done in my book. Also would add one less chunk of pecan wood, just a bit too smokey for the kids, but they still ate it anyway. I would not complain if served these ribs in a restaurant.

View attachment 47713 View attachment 47714

Latest posts

Back