What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran them up to 157*F before pulling them because I was worried my new temperature contraption wasn't accurate (hadn't tested it yet), and they were still incredibly tender (and my chop had no pink in it at all, which to me is overdone). The marinate worked really well as a tenderizing agent.

Direct heat to sear?
I was planning on ribeye on the grill tomorrow but maybe pork chops....hmmm [emoji848]

Yes, indirect heat then two minutes to sear (one minute per side). Plan on doing the same today with a top round London broil marinated type steak. I tend to indirectly cook, then sear, others sear, then do the indirect part. Just the way my Mom taught me, I guess.

Yes, indirect heat then two minutes to sear (one minute per side). Plan on doing the same today with a top round London broil marinated type steak. I tend to indirectly cook, then sear, others sear, then do the indirect part. Just the way my Mom taught me, I guess.

Got some Ribeye on sale for $6.99/lb at local Shop Rite, it says Ribeye from Australia, never tried it but am going to give it a shot soon...

Here it is, seasoned waiting for grill to come up to good temp.
If you don't want them, just twist my arm and I'll take them off your hands! They look plenty good to me.

I just fired up some charcoal on my Weber kettle. A bit of wind so added a bit more charcoal. Should be fine since it's just a piece of top round and should only need to cook 15-20 minutes tops (though I could put it on the cold side of the grill to fit in another beer or three).

Mmmm, Varis, that looks really good!

Down south here, did up a top round london broil (marinated for about the whole day), twice baked taters w/mozzarella made by my dear wife and some sauteed spinach in some olive oil, sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. Ended up (in my opinion) mostly medium. Only a tad of pink on the thicker end. New temperature probe and doneness seemed to match up. Very tender and juicy even though a tad overdone. Yum!

4-8-18_grilling-1.jpg 4-8-18_grilling-2.jpg 4-8-18_grilling-3.jpg 4-8-18_grilling-4.jpg

0ED948F8-AAB8-4FBC-B83B-ADCF3983F756.jpeg A little informal lunch for wifey and I today. Had some leftovers from dinner yesterday, which was a shrimp boil with 10 # of13-15 count fresh Gulk shrimp, few cloves of garlic, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, and corn from the boil as well, cut the corn off the cob and buttered, definitely didn’t need any seasoning! Added to the leftovers a rack of baby backs, smoked with pecan and Cab soaked wine stix, slathered with plenty Sweet Baby Rays. Now I’m digging around for some dinner fare.....

It is indeed easy AND good! Find yourself a chianti or the like to quaff. (I was tempted to open a Rosso di Montalcino that I have a few of, but I want to age them for a while yet.)

I had a poor grasp of the weekend's plans and had to put this off. But it is on tonight's menu. I'm using a recipe I found on NY Times and got it marinading in Chianti last night.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12191-wild-boar-ragu

This turned out awesome. Rustic, authentic, rich tasting Italian food. Thanks for the inspiration, Paul. Didn't have any 'proper' pasta, but the Rigatoni worked pretty well. I would have preferred another hour or two to simmer, but that's just my bad timing.

Attachments

• IMG_6449.JPG
    IMG_6449.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6450.JPG
    IMG_6450.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6451.JPG
    IMG_6451.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 36
After a rough Monday at work, I was really glad to get into the kitchen and decompress, believe it or not. Simple fare this eve, but better than a sharp stick in the eye. We had some lamb shoulder chops (again), but they were really up into the shoulder, so a bit tough. After dry-brining I sauteed these, then seasoned with coriander and ground fennel. This was served with a mushroom sauce, with sauteed onions, garlic, and thyme, then braised in sherry. I also made polenta with blue cheese, and lacinato kale braised in ho-made chicken stock with onions. With spring purportedly in the offing, I served a spring-mix salad, with ho-made dressing.

DSCN1140.jpg DSCN1141.jpg

Finally a nice day, with a little sun, minimal wind, time to get some charcoal going. Was planning to put on a hunk of beef (thawed 1.5 lb hunk) and flavor it up before I sauteed in a pan and added some taco seasoning for taco night tomorrow night (if that is allowed on a Wednesday), then do burgers and dogs when the older two got home from their track meet. "Bing", around 4:50 pm the youngest son said "probably time to leave and get us". Needless to say, he was done, but my daughter usually is in the last event in any meet (plus they can't leave early), so we got home around 6:10 pm. Should of brought a book. Opened the air vents on the kettle grill and threw the hunk of meat back on. Changed my youngest diabetics site, threw the tater tots in, and threw a frozen burger on for me (and a Nittany Lion frank on for the youngest daughter). Finally ate around 7 pm. Converted my burger into a grinder since I had a nice hoagie roll left from the other night. Added some provolone cheese, dill pickles and some lettuce, along with some steak sauce. Very good, served with Yuengling Traditional Lager.

4-10-18_ground-beef-grinder.jpg

My DW procured some really fine-looking flounder filets. (Fine in both senses, and I accordingly managed to butcher.) I made a meuniere prep for these (dredged in flour, sautee in butter, then made a butter/lemon/chopped parsley sauce to pour over everything). It was delicious, but these guys just about fell apart upon sauteeing. They were soooo delicate I could barely flip 'em without making a hash out of it. How does anyone deal with thin flounder filets? If you have any tips, throw 'em my way.
I had a side of seafood risotto (with ho-made crab stock). I also made a dish of sauteed/slightly caramelized fennel and onions, with chopped scallions and lots of cilantro. This dish turned out to be the star of the show, overshadowing my pathetic flounder effort. Also had a salad of spring greens with ho-made lemon/oil vinaigrette.
Washed down with a Chard with a good name; do you suppose it was oaked and MLFed? ;) (It wasn't too much so, honestly. It could have dialed it up a bit, IMHO.)

DSCN1145.jpg DSCN1147.jpg

It was delicious, but these guys just about fell apart upon sauteeing. They were soooo delicate I could barely flip 'em without making a hash out of it. How does anyone deal with thin flounder filets? If you have any tips, throw 'em my way.
The kids love fried fish, so I make up a wash of egg and half'n-half, dredge in GF baking flour, wash, dredge in GF bread crumbs (usually seasoned w/Italian seasoning and Parmesan). But that adds a few more calories with the oil (I usually use canola oil @ 380*F). I try and get a nice crust on the first side to help it hold together, then flip, go get the plate with the towels to absorb the oil, and plate it rather quickly. I think it kinda gets more done than it should, but the kids like it, it isn't oily in the least, and it gives them a serving fish for the week. Diet diversity is a good thing. Only bad thing is that I have to go soap up my glasses to get the grease to release.

Thanks, Craig and John. Will try those tips!

Tonight was a rendition of Zuni Cafe's chicken. The idea here is that you take a small bird, salt it and air-dry the skin in the fridge for a day or three, then roast in HIGH heat to crisp it up. Very tasty. We came home late from work, so I had to rush it a bit, but it was ~okay. I also made roasted asparagus (EVOO, then added chervil and tarragon), and a modest version of "green cous-cous" (sauteed scallions, cous-cous, chicken stock, roasted pistachios, lots of chopped cilantro).

The first picture is of the raw bird, coming out of the fridge after 2 days.

DSCN1150 (1).jpg DSCN1153.jpg DSCN1154.jpg

First day this year in the 70's, nice sunny day. Had to grill out. Hamburgers, cheese burgers, homemade brats, potato wedges and corn on the cob. AND a 10 year old bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. My god!, was this wine good! Almost wish I'd saved it for a good steak.
Life is good!

Prep'ing baby back ribs for the smoker tomorrow!

30715039_10216889538657576_3635131594869571584_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back