What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Son works with a chef who grew up in Thailand, and she shared the ingredients (actually bought and gave them to us) to a family Thai-Chineese lo mein dish that I just love. Only problem is she didn't give the amounts (Son is working on that). So with some left over chicken getting past it's prime in the fridge, decided to cook up a dish 'o noodles. Very tasty, overdid the thai soybean sauce (much like soy sauce but sharper), but hit the fried garlic perfectly. Only complaint is too much salt, so I'll cut back on the sauces on my next try. Included lo mein noodles, cabbage, carrots, thai fried garlic, a few green onions, chicken, Thai soybean sauce, Oyster sauce, pinch of sugar and sesame oil to fry it up. Pretty good for a first attempt, need a few more beers to get my salt back in balance. Saved some out for my Son to try when he gets home so we can keep working to get closer to her final product, which is yummy.

Edit: Son tried it and liked it. Thought the flavor was spot on but a little too much sauce (too heavy), her version is lighter and has a more delicate flavor. May just cut the sauce with some more rice wine vinegar next time.

2-8-17_thai-noodles.jpg

Last edited:
Did some simple BSB in sous vide for about an hour-forty-five, then seared in cast iron to finish off. Chased with green beans sautéed in a little bacon grease and a simple salad.

Thank heavens I thought you had all the Back Street Boys in the pool! :)

BSB+shirtless.jpg

You know, you ought to be compiling these recipes into a cookbook. The wife and I are trying to eat a bit healthier (leaves room for more wine drinking) and some of these look mighty tasty. That plus my bonus daughter and her spousal equivalent are vegan. It sometimes makes holidays interesting, given that I am a dedicated omnivore.

Great idea. The problem is that I don't have any recipes. I never measure things. I just cook. I use other recipes for ingredient inspiration. And I really love YouTube videos showing food being prepared as I can see how it's done. I'm thinking about trying to do some videos of my own. But with a full time job to pay the bills, a full time winery job, and a full time vineyard job, and all the other things I'm doing - it's kind of on the back burner.

Tonight is sous vide tri tip. I had to meet the flooring guy at home mid-day, so was able to get things started and the TT will have a nice 5-6 hour bath. Also doing black beans, Spanish rice and salad.

I made "Reddened catfish" from The New Basics cookbook. Basically, catfish dredged in a crust with panko, lemon zest, paprika, herbs, and red pepper flakes, served with a sauce of pureed scallions, arugula, lime, mustard, an egg yolk, and oil. This was very tasty. Served with ho-made ( :^) cornbread and escarole braised with garlic and sherry.

Well since Craig is asleep at the wheel.........

And yes, it was amazing!

Everyone else got pizza last night. I just get "pizza'd out" sometimes. I made the dough with about 20% graham wheat flour and everyone but my oldest son thought it was too "chewy". I noticed there were only 4 pieces left from two 16" pies and 4 eaters, so it couldn't have been all that bad.

For lunch, we made cheesesteaks from the leftover tri-tip. Thinly sliced and sautéed up with provolone; then added mayo, romaine and tomato. Yum!

Latest posts

Back