What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three Packet Slow Cooker Short Ribs!

Been snowing off and on today so why not something from the crock pot for dinner this evening! This recipe is about as easy to make as they come. As the name implies it uses a packet of brown gravy mix, italian dressing and ranch dressing and one cup of water. Supposed to cook a roast but I am also substituting about 4 lbs of boneless short ribs. I tweaked it by adding some chopped onion, carrots, a few sprigs of thyme and some rosemary. :hug

I currently keep putting my head in the crock pot and snorting it ever 15 min or so as the smell coming out of the kitchen is to die for good. Gonna serve this over (real) smashed russet potatoes with the skins and a green veggie of sorts.

Now I hope I can find a bottle of wine to go with this…….. :)

Last edited:
No snow here, but low 40's and raining right now. I originally had a hankering for chili, but decided to go with chicken parmesan. Sauce has been simmering all afternoon and I'm about to get dinner started. Homemade bread will go into the oven in a bit, and the Winery Series Super Tuscan is relaxing in the wine fridge.

Been snowing off and on today

Ditto!
so why not something from the crock pot for dinner this evening!

Ditto.... sort of.

I am making lamb shanks in my crock pot -- but I have mine set up as a sous vide cooker. I control the temperature with an external PID controller that turns a solid-state relay on and off. I've had the shanks in since yesterday, held at 155F.

I currently keep putting my head in the crock pot and snorting it ever 15 min or so as the smell coming out of the kitchen is to die for good.

But here is a problem with sous vide: you don't get any smells!

Now I hope I can find a bottle of wine to go with this…….. :)

Okay, now we are back to: DITTO!

Post up some pics and your impressions of that cook, Paul. After 24 hours, I can't begin to imagine how tender that is going to be. I'm still drooling over the Anova SV unit. Someday...

Post up some pics and your impressions of that cook, Paul. After 24 hours, I can't begin to imagine how tender that is going to be. I'm still drooling over the Anova SV unit. Someday...

Well, 24 hours is not all that long in SV terms!

I had two shanks in there: one was for dinner tonight, and one for the unspecified future. The one for tonight did not have to be super tender; I cooked that for "only" 24 hours at 155*F. It got cut up a bit and then put into an Indian curry soup/stew. It came off the bone easily, but the texture was like, say, tenderloin, rather than short ribs or pulled pork. I am leaving the one that is for future consumption in for another 12 hours or so to soften up a bit more.

lambshankwhole.jpg

lambshankpieces.jpg

Last edited:
SWMBO says I need to make this once a week. LOL It was even better the 2nd time around if that is possible. Wine was pretty darn good as well!

Thought about it but nope wasn't called out for in the recipe. I cooked on high for about 3 hours then on low for ~4 hours. Meat was cut with a fork tender.

Thought about it but nope wasn't called out for in the recipe.

Me, I just gotta have that Malliard reaction. You will notice that my sous-vide-cooked lamb shank has been browned. (Since they were frozen when I started, that browning was courtesy of BernzOmatic!)

Latest posts

Back