What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but once you post, pics have to follow

OK. Here it is. I used this for sauce. It's actually pretty good for store bought, but I think I should have cooked it down a bit to get some moisture out.

The before pic:

And the finished pic:

it was a tad soupy, but not too terrible. I'm definitely going to try this again. Considering I used store bought dough and sauce, it was pretty good.

Hey Boatboy,

Have you ever tried this one? It is canned but surprisingly yummy on pizza...

61Z4rVzRsOL._SL1500_.jpg

Hot dogs tonight. It's "Dollar Monday" at the minor league Potomac Nationals tonight - $1 general admission and $1 hot dogs! :try

Hey Boatboy,

Have you ever tried this one? It is canned but surprisingly yummy on pizza...

I have. I normally make my own, but it is a very savory and garlicky recipe and I figured it would be too much in this application. This was too easy, and was on sale to boot!

Last night I made some DELISHY homemade pasta sauce from pilfered tomatoes and bell peppers from my brother's garden, along with homemade (turkey burger) meatballs, and garden-fresh corn on the cob. My 5 yr old daughter made quite the little glutton of herself.

We did gluten free pasta with farmer sausage, creamy tomato sauce with tom's from the garden and a nice glass of Cheeky Monkey Cab/Merlot/Garnacha. Kids ate it right up!

Oddly enough, whole beef tenderloin was one of the less expensive beef items at the store this morning. So I bought a whole tenderloin. Just got done butchering, removing some extra fat and silverskin and I have 9 nice filets - all about 1.5 inches thick, and two pieces of "tips" about the size of small pork tenderloins. Three filets were saved for dinner, and the rest was vacuum sealed and thrown in the freezer. I'm getting ready to rub them with olive oil, S&P, thyme and roasted garlic. Then I'll grill over charcoal and some spent, red wine soaked oak cubes. I'll serve it with some angel hair pasta tossed with basil pesto from Provence and grilled corn on the cob with basil butter.

Tonight, I'm going to brine some thick pork chops with some garlic, ginger, brown sugar, peppercorns and orange zest. It'll be grilled and served up with some grill roasted squash.

Lunch, actually. I went to the farmers market yesterday to grab some tri tip and they also had brisket bacon. So, what else to do besides Brisket Bacon BLT. Brisket bacon from a local farm; maple cured, then smoked over hickory.

Last edited:
Santa Maria tri tip, roasted over lump charcoal and pecan wood, then seared to finish. Homemade European Peasant Bread, fresh corn on the cob slathered in basil butter.

I'm washing it down with a 2012 Edna Valley Cab from the central coast.

Update, here are the pics:

Just getting started. Roasted at about 375.

Meanwhile, I baked some European Peasant Bread in the oven:

At about 115F, I took the tri tip off for a few while I let the grill heat up to searing temps. Here it is, resting before searing:

I think we're about ready to sear:

One side seared. Not much longer to go:

Plated up with a little bread, and corn on the cob with basil butter.

Last edited:
Made some wild rice and combined it with marinated artichoke hearts, fresh scallions, S&P, ground sage and a splash of Chardonnay. Then I cut pockets into some boneless, skinless chicken breasts and stuffed them with the rice mixture. Grilled them over charcoal. While they were resting, I grilled some broccolini that was marinated in worcestershire, vinegar, oil, onion powder, white pepper, and a few other things. Served it all with some homemade 'peasant bread'.

Boatboy,

can you please go into the details on exactly how you make your peasant bread??

Sure. The recipe is from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". It oversimplifies things a bit (which is good for me), but I like the theory. This is enough for 3 loaves. The idea is you mix it up and let it rise. You can then store the dough in the fridge for up to two weeks. And actually a week+ improves the bread, giving it some sourdough-like qualities. Here goes:

3 cups of lukewarm water
1.5 TBS of granulated yeast (2 packets)
1.5 TBS of kosher salt
.5 cups of Rye Flour
.5 cups of whole wheat flour
5.5 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
cornmeal or semolina flour for the pizza peel. (I greatly prefer the semolina - it doesn't burn as easily as cornmeal)

Mix the yeast and salt with the water in a 5 quart bowl, or lidded (not airtight) food container.

Mix in the remainind dry ingredients without kneading, using a spoon, food processor with dough attachment or heavy duty stand mixer with dough hook. If not using a machine, you may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bit of flour.

Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temp until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top) - approximately 2 hours.

The dough can be used immediately, though it is a little easier to handle when cold. It can be refrigerated covered (not airtight) for up to 14 days.

Dust teh surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a 1lb piece. Dust with more flour and shape it into a ball by streching the surface of the dour around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter turn as you go. Allow it to rest and rise on a cornmeal (or semolina) covered pizza peel for about 40 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 450 for at least 20 minutes with a baking stone on the middle rack. Place an empty broiler pan on any other shelf that won't interfere with the rising bread.

Sprinkle the loaf liberally with flour and slash a cross, 'scallop', or 'tic-tac-toe' pattern into the top using a serrated bread knife. Leave the flour in place for baking, but tap some of it off before slicing.

Slide the loaf directly onto the stone. Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the broiler tray and quickly close the oven door. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the top crust is deeply browned and very firm. Smaller or larger loaves will require adjustments in time.

Note: I usually bake mine at 425 for 40+ minutes. YMMV. My Tri Tip post above has a pic of a full loaf, if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back