What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I braised some chicken with yellow beets and kohlrabi with tomatoes and thyme. Served over rice, it was perfect comfort food on a cold evening.

1394288_10100301178827349_1356930645_n.jpg

I braised some chicken with yellow beets and kohlrabi with tomatoes and thyme. Served over rice, it was perfect comfort food on a cold evening.

1394288_10100301178827349_1356930645_n.jpg

Greg - I had no idea you could cook kohlrabi! My Dad and I always eat it raw with a sprinkle of salt.

I love this thread, it makes me hungry and gives great ideas for meals :)

yes, I love it raw too. I only started cooking it last year and it is DELICIOUS. I guess it's common in Europe to use kohlrabi in soups and stews.

Wow, I hope to eat some of that type of food in the future. It all looks great.
For now, it is off to the gym and then home to baked tilapia and brown rice.

Tess those look wonderful, I do that all that time with my left over taters...
do you add any shredded onion to yours.....

Wife ended up out to dinner with the kids, so I threw together some boneless/skinless Cornell chicken thighs on the grill and a tomato/avocado salad.

I love poke salad, have eaten it my whole life...

Tonight it is thick and creamy home made potato soup, with hard crusted french bread, warmed with sliced and warmed bread cheese and raspberry chutney.
Now...if you have never eaten bread cheese..you should...it is wonderfull any way you serve
it..
A soft cheese burned on the edges, from finalnd, excellent with any marmalade...

JohnT said:
My mom really knew how to cook lamb. All I remember is that she cooked it very fast in a screaming hot oven. It always had this wonderful dark brown bark that just bursted with flavor. Never been able to replicate it. I need to ask Tess is she wouldn't mind giving a DNA sample so that we can have her cloned!

Sorry to jump in here but have you tried cooking it like you would cook an eye of the round roast? Preheat oven to 500F cook meat for 7 minutes per pound at 500F then turn oven off and let sit for 2 to 2.5 hours. Do not open oven at all while it sits in there. Take meat out and tent loosely for 10-20 mins under foil. I like to make a rub for the meat and Let it sit with rub and wrapped in plastic for an hour to allow the meat to reach room temp first. You can either put in roasting tray on a rack dry like that. Or you can sear on a hot skillet on all sides for about 3mins per side. Then reduce oven heat to 475F and cook as suggested above for eye of round beef. If lamb has bone in it (not French rack) leave in oven for the 2.5 hours. Bon appetite!

Is this the stuff you have to boil 3 times to get the poison out? Who was brave enough to figure that out, originally? ("Maybe we won't get sick if we boil it just one more time.")

No boiling at all. Saute in olive oil and onions. Crumble bacon and chop in boiled eggs. My family including my family Dr have been eating poke all our lives and it is Delicious. No one has died!! Im talking generations!!! Poke only becomes poisonous when it gets big. No ones making anyone here eat it. Your loss. You eat some good poke. You will know what Im talking about. Pick it under a foot tall if you dont know what your doing stay away form it. Best green Iv ever ate in my life. I eat wild mushrooms to. You have to know what your doing!!

Forgot...Tess are you married......LOL if not, how bout a round trip ticket to the gulf coast

Been there James. Lived close enough anyways. Lived in Texas for 10 years. Love Galveston. As Glen Campbell says " I still hear your sea winds blowin' / I still see her dark eyes glowin"

Last edited:
No boiling at all. Saute in olive oil and onions. Crumble bacon and chop in boiled eggs. My family including my family Dr have been eating poke all our lives and it is Delicious. No one has died!! Im talking generations!!! Poke only becomes poisonous when it gets big. No ones making anyone here eat it. Your loss. You eat some good poke. You will know what Im talking about. Pick it under a foot tall if you dont know what your doing stay away form it. Best green Iv ever ate in my life. I eat wild mushrooms to. You have to know what your doing!!

I would indeed like to try it. However, I do NOT know what I am doing. I had never come across poke before this summer. I went to my parents' house this summer to try to clean up (after my dad passed away). Even though this was my boyhood home, I had never seen poke there or anywhere else before, and there was TONS of it. They had some plants that were 9 foot tall. I actually thought it was an invasive species, until I got an ID from someone knowledgeable.

I suppose I could try the stuff in cans. Is that at all comparable to fresh pokesalat?

Latest posts

Back