What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to jump in here but have you tried cooking it like you would cook an eye of the round roast? Preheat oven to 500F cook meat for 7 minutes per pound at 500F then turn oven off and let sit for 2 to 2.5 hours. Do not open oven at all while it sits in there. Take meat out and tent loosely for 10-20 mins under foil. I like to make a rub for the meat and Let it sit with rub and wrapped in plastic for an hour to allow the meat to reach room temp first. You can either put in roasting tray on a rack dry like that. Or you can sear on a hot skillet on all sides for about 3mins per side. Then reduce oven heat to 475F and cook as suggested above for eye of round beef. If lamb has bone in it (not French rack) leave in oven for the 2.5 hours. Bon appetite!

This sounds quite interesting. Can you tell me what cut of lamb you have in mind? By your last comment, it sounds like you are thinking of rack of lamb; however, the procedure you outline sounds like it is appropriate only for a large cut, like a leg or something. Wouldn't the rack get cooked well beyond medium with your method?

Personally, I like to cook my rack of lamb by sous vide at about 125 deg for 10 hours, then cover with a persillade and sear the outside under a broiler. Ohhh, that is tender and goooood!

I would indeed like to try it. However, I do NOT know what I am doing. I had never come across poke before this summer. I went to my parents' house this summer to try to clean up (after my dad passed away). Even though this was my boyhood home, I had never seen poke there or anywhere else before, and there was TONS of it. They had some plants that were 9 foot tall. I actually thought it was an invasive species, until I got an ID from someone knowledgeable.

I suppose I could try the stuff in cans. Is that at all comparable to fresh pokesalat?

AWWW, NO ITS NOT!! iTS ALL ABOUT BEING FRESH!! PICKED FRESH IN THE SPRING!! no MORe THEN A FOOT TALL

Last edited:
canned is nothing like the fresh, as tess said.
no more then a foot tall will give you the best...
cook the same way you would turnip greens, I like to cook my with parsnips.

sour_grapes said:
This sounds quite interesting. Can you tell me what cut of lamb you have in mind? By your last comment, it sounds like you are thinking of rack of lamb; however, the procedure you outline sounds like it is appropriate only for a large cut, like a leg or something. Wouldn't the rack get cooked well beyond medium with your method? Personally, I like to cook my rack of lamb by sous vide at about 125 deg for 10 hours, then cover with a persillade and sear the outside under a broiler. Ohhh, that is tender and goooood!

Yes I was referring to a much larger cut such as a leg or even a shoulder - this recipe is really meant for the toughest cuts. I think it would work on a large chunky rack just reduce the oven to 475 when placing it in oven and try the searing before hand. Your method sounds excellent as well! I'm working up an appetite for lamb!

U CLOSE TO ME?? let ME KNOW...YOU ARE INVITED TO MY HOME!!

Aww, that is sweet of you. Alas, I am more than 6 hours away.

And you know the dangers of inviting random strangers from WMT to your home, right? The danger is that they may bring young wine to dinner! ;)

canned is nothing like the fresh, as tess said.
no more then a foot tall will give you the best...
cook the same way you would turnip greens, I like to cook my with parsnips.

I like turnip greens, beet greens, collard greens, etc. I had never even heard of poke before this summer, but I bet I would like it! And I prepare my greens the way Tess described, not boiled to death like my grandmother would have done.

Last edited:
Is this the stuff you have to boil 3 times to get the poison out? Who was brave enough to figure that out, originally? ("Maybe we won't get sick if we boil it just one more time.")
Reminds me of when I was a teen I worked summers and holidays in my uncle's old Italian meat market. It was on "the other side of the tracks" so we sold lots of organ meat. When folks would ask how to cook kidney my uncle would tell them to "boil the pee out of it then throw it away". Good Times!

Tonight: A french cheese omelet stuffed with sliced shitake mushrooms, chopped canandian bacon, green onions, and red bell pepers.
Home made bisguits with real butter, and home made strawberry fig preserves.
I feel like breakfast.

Sour grapes, can you get bread cheese there made locally...

I must admit, I did not know the answer to this. I figured that we had to make it, being as we make more cheese than any other state. (Yes, that is true; California never did quite catch up, even though at one time it looked like they would. They now make nearly as much.) However, I was not sure about bread cheese.

The answer, a quick google search reveals, is "Yes." Here are a couple of hits:

http://www.eatwisconsincheese.com/cheese/article.aspx?cid=75

https://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/item/juusto-baked-cheese-rKJ/

Im cold!! Its breakfast casserole here and I already know what Im making for dinner. A big pot of chili and a pan of hot sweet corn bread!!!
532-1.jpg

I use the small cheery Toms this time of year and all through the winter. They just taste better

Hopping on a plane this morning to a city I've never been too. Looking forward to the culinary delights in Madrid! Updates later. :)

Hopping on a plane this morning to a city I've never been too. Looking forward to the culinary delights in Madrid! Updates later. :)

I see lots of Tempranillo and Rioja in your future! Have fun!

Oh yea, paella too!

I would love to do a paella but I will be traveling alone. They are pretty large and I may not have an opportunity. But the Tapas!!! Can't wait.

I'm cooking up a beef with a dry rub consisting of pepper corns, salt, and herbs and grilled potatos. I also lightly spread garlic and onion on the top of the rub for additional flavor.

Red beans and rice, with some andouille sausage. (Now, James, before you get too interested, it was fairly a ersatz meal. The red beans and rice were from a good ol' Vigo package; at least the andouille was from Usinger's.)

I get some good Andouille here. They make it fresh every day at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati

Daughters Birthday bash at a place called Toucanos or something like that. It is a small chain of Brazilian Steakhouses. They come around with these giant skewers of meat and veggies. All you care to eat. My son in law and I did our Homer Simpson impressions and ate way more than we should have. Next time I will ask them if they have a corkage fee.

Latest posts

Back