What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your go to knife?

I bet mine will surprise you, as much as it did me. We use a cleaver for EVERYTHING. Even my guests do. My dad and brother both bought one for home after visiting.

I got mine from 'chefs knives to go', an American company.

I was so impressed with it that I bought a mini version, but this remains the go to. Everything else feels small and takes so much effort to work, while this is so agile for its size. You can chop like a chef, FAST, because its so easy to ride your knuckles. I even use it for delicate or precision things like slicing avocados.

Anyway... Likely my favourite kitchen tool. I often consider getting another, this one has some miles on it, and I don't share well. 😄

Thought someone might enjoy the share. It was inspired by a conversation with my dad, he didn't have one either and was asking why I don't. I just thought it would be bulky and cumbersome. Something you would only use on rare occasions. Probably the most surprising kitchen purchase I have made. Right next to the fact that I rarely use my hand blender, I thought I would be an I can't live without it purchase. Turns out, that's my cleaver!View attachment 90820
I have a clever. It lives 24/7 in the drawer under the stove. I rarely use it. My go-to is a Wusthof 8" chef's knife. I have a full set of Wusthof knives and I prefer those over any others I have used.

Blueberries from the back yard. In the oven early this AM before the scorching mid-day heat here.

View attachment 90944

I love blueberry muffins!!!

I was goi g to be in your neck of the woods but then we changed our mind.

My college daughter came home and never been to Mt. Washington, even though the temperature is too hot I can only imagine how fresh it must be up there.

Is this Thursday, Friday, Saturday? Or, 5:00, 6:00, and 7:00 PM?
Ha! You sound like my workmates, lol. No I think it was Wednesday, Friday and Saturday dinners ....

Now for Sunday, way too hot around here for an old person of almost 60 to be hoofin' it outside, so now that I have reliable cooling, decided to go for an indoor pizza experiment. 12" x 12" pans, two different doughs. One was a King Arthur hi gluten flour base, the other a Delallo 00 organic base. 450 deg F oven using convection with a pizza stone in the bottom to maintain heat, hopefully. Sauce was a mix of farmers market overly ripe maters (heirlooms) and some paste type that could have been more ripe. Cooked down for about 4 hours yesterday, used them cold with added fresh basil and a touch of oregano, which was fresh as well. Cheese was a mix of provolone and mozzarella, whole milk versions.

Delallo 00 crust hands down beat out the KA hi gluten crust at this cooking temp. In the past the KA seems to do pretty well on a 700*F KettlePIzza setup, though other 00 (not Delallo) flours do really well also. Either way, it was a successful experiment in my eyes, because it was Yum!

7-24-22_pizza-1.jpg

7-24-22_pizza-2.jpg

I have a clever. It lives 24/7 in the drawer under the stove. I rarely use it. My go-to is a Wusthof 8" chef's knife. I have a full set of Wusthof knives and I prefer those over any others I have used.
They are sharp. I'll give them that. My folks have Wusthof, and bought my brother a set for his house warming. I like to be different, so I went with Japanese knives. Multiple brands. Just 'cause. I do have a Wusthof in the drawer, though. It's nice and sharp, I was thinking I might want another one or two.

I'd like a serious chef's knife. Japanese knives tend to be lower profile, I still have a spot for a beefy chef's knife. I might look at a Wusthof next time I have a chance.

Vinny, my boys would love you, their three most favorite veges, Brussel sprouts, grilled asparagus and grilled zucchini... only thing missing in their book is the Parmesan encrusting the sprouts. They are not big onion fans either, that's a work in progress on the younger one. The older one is on his own, he just needs to send money to his aging parents...yea, right!

Storms abound, so did an easy meal for me since wifey is picking up extra time at the hospital in central sterile (at double pay, nice). Didn't realize my Son didn't work today, sautéed some organic red chard with shallot, garlic, red onion, Vidalia onion, cherry maters and a very small green pepper from the neighbors in a pat of butter and EVOO, eventually added some balsamic vinegar, just a few dashes. Topped it with a few blackened tuna slices. Didn't get the grill hot enough (aka didn't wait long enough to grill), so didn't get any nice burnt edges. Sweetness from the onion and the vinegar really added to the overall flavor of the chard. Gave my Son 1/3 of the tuna and did an extra salmon chunk, he said he's gonna do a GF pasta and use the chard and fish with some cheese to build his dinner later. I love when he experiments, he'll learn how much fun it is, especially when it works out and tastes good!

7-25-22_tuna-n-chard.jpg

Vinny, my boys would love you, their three most favorite veges, Brussel sprouts, grilled asparagus and grilled zucchini... only thing missing in their book is the Parmesan encrusting the sprouts. They are not big onion fans either, that's a work in progress on the younger one. The older one is on his own, he just needs to send money to his aging parents...yea, right!

Storms abound, so did an easy meal for me since wifey is picking up extra time at the hospital in central sterile (at double pay, nice). Didn't realize my Son didn't work today, sautéed some organic red chard with shallot, garlic, red onion, Vidalia onion, cherry maters and a very small green pepper from the neighbors in a pat of butter and EVOO, eventually added some balsamic vinegar, just a few dashes. Topped it with a few blackened tuna slices. Didn't get the grill hot enough (aka didn't wait long enough to grill), so didn't get any nice burnt edges. Sweetness from the onion and the vinegar really added to the overall flavor of the chard. Gave my Son 1/3 of the tuna and did an extra salmon chunk, he said he's gonna do a GF pasta and use the chard and fish with some cheese to build his dinner later. I love when he experiments, he'll learn how much fun it is, especially when it works out and tastes good!

View attachment 90985

:HB :HB :HB

View attachment 90985
Where do you get your tuna from?

View attachment 90985

Craig,

How long do you hit the tuna on the grill, per side, do you look for internal temp or just color?

Latest posts

Back