What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a whole, small eye of round roast at BJs this morning. Maybe 5 lbs, $15 for the whole thing. Cut 'er in half and marinated some for a grill cook (really nice and less humid here today) on charcoal w/hickory wood. Wifey came home and I stopped paying attention to the probe temps, went really high! Normally I take it off at 125-130*F, went well past that. So brought it in and rested it, sliced then cubed and added it to some beef stock and warmed back up. Turned out more tender than I thought, put on some sub buns my wife picked up. She made some sliced taters seasoned with I think a mix of parmesean, salt, pepper and thyme. Really easy dinner served with a salad.

7-30-22_beef.jpg

so I saw a bbq show where they were cooking up Pork Steaks. I bought a Butt roast and cut off the end past the bone and sliced it up into about 1" pieces to grill as steaks. Dry rub marinade about 6 hours, on the fire for a couple of minutes the on the cool side of the grill for about 10 mins each side. Wrapped in foil after adding butter and honey and thrown back on the cool side of the grill till 195 degrees. Lastly brushed with a mix of BBQ sauce, beer, brown sugar and grilled over the coals till a little bit of char. Total about 1-1/2 hour and result in taste of ribs less the bones. Will absolutely do this again. Served with a bowtie macaroni salad.
porksteak1.jpegporksteak2.jpegporksteak3.jpeg

Is hard to see in the picture, but tonight was quasi surf and turf. Strip steaks from the grocery store that was on sale due to the best by date of today and a change of plans. Shrimp on the salad, which was watermelon, hot sauce, mint, feta cheese. Air fryer carrots. FWK Merlot rounded it all out.

PXL_20220731_223933076.jpg

Last night I made quickie meat sauce -- hamburg, onion, garlic, seasoned salt, oregano, basil, few shots of Texas Pete, lb of mushrooms (sliced thick), 2x 8 oz cans tomato sauce, 2 cans red wine. Brown meat, add onion & garlic. Add everything else and simmer for 20 minutes.

meat sauce.jpg

Costco run yesterday! Sadly no Picanha steak. Even asked one of the Meat Mongers. Nope, they have never gotten any of that in.......

But thanks to @ceeaton this came home! :db Will marinade this later today and cook med rare. I think I have the perfect tool. CI griddle pan. Need to find something to pair this with. Perhaps a nice chardonnay.

1659713123367.jpeg

Back