What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my fridge died last week, we quickly moved stuff around. A package of puff pastry was partially defrosted, so we popped it in the backup fridge. Had to use it up, so I made a Chicken Thighs in Puff Pastry, heavy on the garlic, ginger, and Herbes de Provence. Wife was happy! Served it with 2018 Metheglin, which is aging very nicely. The wine is just off-dry and is a good food wine.

chicken-pastry-06.jpg

chicken-pastry-07.jpg

Last edited:
I am having trouble with pix. It looks like something has changed in attaching pictures?

Anyway, we enjoyed broiled asparagus with Le Gruyere cheese; sauteed, then braised, lacinato kale with onions and coriander; seafood risotto with musrooms and truffle oil; and seared, wild caught Coho salmon, marinated in soy/lime, then served with a sauce of lemon, EVOO, garlic, Dijon, and parsley.

Attachments

• IMG_1611 copy.pdf
    675.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1613 copy.pdf
    668.5 KB · Views: 2
Partial retread from Sunday night.

Pan seared halibut over polenta with smoked gouda, prosciutto, cherry tomato with lemon........

View attachment 72634
Great looking plate. I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this but I don't get Polenta. I've tried making it a few times and it tastes like raw cornbread batter with the consistency of cream of wheat. Need to find a good Italian restaurant and try it there maybe. Care to share your recipe or technique, looks courser and much better than my attempts.

Great looking plate. I'm pretty sure I'm alone in this but I don't get Polenta. I've tried making it a few times and it tastes like raw cornbread batter with the consistency of cream of wheat. Need to find a good Italian restaurant and try it there maybe. Care to share your recipe or technique, looks courser and much better than my attempts.

You are not entirely wrong! As you know, you can get cornmeal with grinds (different coarsenesses). But as to taste, a lot has to do with seasoning. Common additions are herbs (esp. sage) or cheeses (esp. a strong blue cheese).

Traditional Tuscan polenta is cooked for a LOONG time, which is said to change its taste, but I have never tried this. (After I read the book "Heat," I always wanted to do so, but never took on the project.)

I use Bob's Red Mill only. I follow the recipe on the back. But instead of water you substitute Chicken Broth cup for cup. We use this stuff which is concentrated and you make it by adding one pouch to a cup of water.

https://www.amazon.com/Savory-Choic...6260437&sprefix=savory+choices,aps,264&sr=8-2
Butter on top of that and of course your choice of cheese. Parm for Italian food but we love smoked gouda for the seafood as well as when we make "City Grits" for breakfast on Sunday.

1616260743819.png

Back