What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my, turned out really well. Had to push the temps a bit, but got a good 45 minute rest in and at around 6:30 pm got a chance to pull it. Nice and juicy with a good background flavor of pecan smoke and pepper. Made up a really interesting bbq sauce (Aaron Franklin inspired) that reminded me of my Mom's she picked up in San Antonio around the time she dated my Dad. Have enough to food save two bags for future easy meals; my wife's study friend who visited today is taking a meals worth for her and her husband as she enjoyed it very much.

Now what in the heck can I do low and slow tomorrow?

8-4-18_pork-3.jpg

Okay, sorry, but no pix. We had a dear friend over, and never thought of it.

I had salted a "Cafe Zuni-style" chicken for a few days in my fridge. Spatchcocked it (al la @ibglowin ) and grilled it on indirect heat, then finished on direct heat, as per Mike. In fact, everything was cooked on the grill. The rest of the meal was broccolini, which I grilled on an open fire to char, then transferred to a cast-iiron pan with garlic, oil, and water to soften. I also made corn-off-the-cob, seasoned with fresh thyme, marjoram, garlic powder, salt and butter. My DW made a cucumber salad with rice vinegar, tamari, and sesame oil. For the chicken, I made a salsa/compote of rough-chopped green olives, kalamata olives, and preserved lemons. It was goooood. :)

2lb Tri Tip going down on the Weber this evening. Been marinading for 24 hours now. Thinking about fingerling potatoes and that wedge salad I make with buttermilk dressing and blu cheese crumbles. Getting hungry already!

Picked up a 19 # prime brisket yesterday evening, injected with some Cajun marinade, sprinkled down with salt and pepper, vacuum sealed and refrigerated for the night. 9 AM, slathered the whole thing down with Better Than Bouillon - Beef, covered with Big Mike’s and Magic Swamp Dust, and dropped in on the Primo. Hickory smoke like a locomotive, coals on the left, meat on the right, GURU set to 225F, let ‘ER rip!!!!!!
5E7CC345-E821-4C61-8A82-359761093938.jpeg

2lb Tri Tip going down on the Weber this evening. Been marinading for 24 hours now. Thinking about fingerling potatoes and that wedge salad I make with buttermilk dressing and blu cheese crumbles. Getting hungry already!
Pictures (like @Johnd) or it didn't happen!

Picked up a 5 lb chicken (that I'd usually use the beer can method on) that I'll spatchcock (edit: and then cut in half). Still deciding which way I'll go with the spices. I'm thinking a nice rosemary based rub I've used before, or possibly just marinate it in the left over bbq sauce from last night. Also picked up another boneless turkey breast, not enough time today to cook it so will fire it up next weekend (best by dated 8/22/18). They also had filet roasts for $8.99 lb. Didn't pull the trigger but may later in the week. I shouldn't be allowed in the grocery store when I'm hungry (hadn't eaten lunch yet).

Last edited:
Now that is a big brisket! No fuel required right? You just put your Kamado out in the sun and it will hit 225F all by itself right?

Picked up a 19 # prime brisket yesterday evening, injected with some Cajun marinade, sprinkled down with salt and pepper, vacuum sealed and refrigerated for the night. 9 AM, slathered the whole thing down with Better Than Bouillon - Beef, covered with Big Mike’s and Magic Swamp Dust, and dropped in on the Primo. Hickory smoke like a locomotive, coals on the left, meat on the right, GURU set to 225F, let ‘ER rip!!!!!!
View attachment 50288

Now that is a big brisket! No fuel required right? You just put your Kamado out in the sun and it will hit 225F all by itself right?

Probably not far from reality. Might miss the lump coal-cooked flavor or smokey wood. Fortunately, the Primo is in the shade, under roof with ceiling fans. Just hit 150 and went into a sealed foil pan for the rest of the ride. Should be perfect at dinner. Wifey takes the leftovers and seals/freezes them it two-boy sized bags to thaw for school lunches. The boys kinda dig smoked brisket sandwiches as school lunch.

Where is the triple-like button?

19lbs!!!??? :HB

Hmmm, almost don't want to post this with 19 lbs of brisket @Johnd has (sometimes size matters). Spatchcocked then eventually split a chicken in half. Added some rosemary to a rub I used yesterday for the pork (basically salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder then added some rosemary and mustard powder). Cooked for about 1 1/4 hours, nice crispy skin and a good flavor from the rub. Served with corn (8 ears for $1 type, too much rain around here and corn is very cheap) and a salad. Still wish I had a ripe tomato, was hoping that two days of sun might push one to ripeness. Storm hanging out a few miles away, hope it goes elsewhere as the back yard is still really wet (too wet to cut the lawn without leaving mud tracks).

8-5-18_chicken-1.jpg

8-5-18_chicken-2.jpg

8-5-18_T-storm.jpg

View attachment 50294 Here you go Craig! LOL
I like and appreciate the picture (could probably name off most of the ingredients in the marinate), but I was hoping for a nice post-grill image with lot's of yummy crust on that tri-tip. I have to remember I'm in the eastern part of the country, not the almost left coast.

Scored some Kobe/Wagyu style hamburger meat today. Have not tried it before so will make a couple nice burgers and report back.

20170128_111240.jpg

Back