What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making some gyro meat (americanized version), had to take some and grill it up for a "pre taste". Haven't made the pocketless pitas or tzatziki sauce yet, so served on a potato sub roll left over from cubanos last night. 2/3 ground lamb, 1/3 80/20 ground beef. Lot's of garlic, rosemary, oregano, some salt & pepper, cumin, onion and more garlic. Then I added some garlic so I could taste it. After cooling the loaf of meat, I'll fry it up as needed for sandwiches (tomorrow dinner for me, I'm being abandoned, family going for a cook out, I'm staying home to do chores (drinking)).

The garlic is staring to come out of the pores in my skin, so I think I got enough in there.

Would love to hear more on your technique. I love gyros and would love to do some gyro meat on the kettle.

Would love to hear more on your technique. I love gyros and would love to do some gyro meat on the kettle.
Today's version was loosely based on the technique she uses here (see link below, she's annoying at best). Spices were from an old recipe I liked, just gotta find it (I don't measure, put stuff in, grill up a small test piece. The more garlic the better, I use rosemary which she doesn't). I used a blender with a paddle to mix it up (not my bread hook). I've done this before and placed a brick wrapped in foil on top of it once in the pan for an overnight stay in the fridge, it helped with the texture (made it much more compact) but I wasn't in the patient kind of mood today, so I cooked it in a loaf pan placed in some water (to moderate the heat and not overcook the bottom of the loaf - 55 minutes @ 350*F, final internal temp of 162*F). I think if you put it in the fridge overnight, then put it on the kettle low and slow the next day, it would turn out fantastic. Oh, I also add an egg to help hold it together and make it easy to slice thin once it has cooled.

The stuff I made today I'll have to thin slice and fry or grill up to brown it a little. At this point it is gray in color but incredibly delicious. I'm sure I'll be having some flavorful burps tomorrow morning with my coffee (sorry if that't TMI).

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Country-style pork ribs. Spice rub (paprika, garlic powder, sage, marjoram, brown sugar, salt, pepper, etc.), then grilled on indirect heat at ~350 for an hour. Served with mushroom caps (tamari, EVOO, and lemon juice, then grilled); sauteed/brainsed broccoli rabe (tons of garlic and EVOO); and sauteed ripe plantains (butter, then garlic at the end).

DSCN2160.jpg DSCN2159.jpg

c75aaa22a6354c66d20aa63e2ffee184.jpg

Things are looking good. Perfect day weather wise. I roasted some home grown Poblano's for our "Chimayo Chicken Sandwich" topping. Sweating them now before peeling. Pollo Asado is down and the St. Louis style ribs are in the wrapped phase now. I think it might by Beer Thirty as well.

IMG_3471.JPG

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

I think I like Mike's weather and meal better than mine. Mostly overcast, very humid, thunderstorms abound, but we never got a direct hit. Fortunately I had made a loaf of gyro meat. So started up the grill, smoked some salmon I had in a cure for my son (celebrated his Birthday yesterday (was actually earlier last week)), added some green maters with some olive oil and smoked paprika and then threw on a few thin slices of some gyro meat to brown it up. Had made some flatbread earlier in the day (was wrapped in a warm oven, stayed pretty good) and some tzatziki sauce this morning. Picked a few ripe tomatoes and assembled a gyro. My gosh that was worth the effort. I threw some feta cheese on that was actually not necessary (will use it in salads this week). The tzatziki sauce turned out really well as I found a new greek yogurt with 5% fat (I think that is what the 5% on the label stood for). Didn't need any draining and really had a nice flavor. Cooked up too much meat, so I guess I'll have to suffer and have a gyro for lunch tomorrow.

8-12-18_gyro-1.jpg

8-12-18_gyro-2.jpg

Things are looking good. Perfect day weather wise. I roasted some home grown Poblano's for our "Chimayo Chicken Sandwich" topping. Sweating them now before peeling. Pollo Asado is down and the St. Louis style ribs are in the wrapped phase now. I think it might by Beer Thirty as well.

Have a crowd, or just cooking for the coming week?

I want to know why I didn't know this substance existed for the first 50 years of my life!? I feel robbed! Now I use it liberally.
I agree, bestest stuff ever made! I keep looking for a good pepper so I can grow my own paprika, then cook it like Mike did on the grill, dry them and grind them. Could use different woods and experiment with the taste.

On a side note, wifey is home all week (back to school shopping for the kids, in between semesters, etc) and requested chicken fajitas. I just happened to have six ho-made flat breads that could be reheated. So did the marinated chicken over charcoal (we've missed the rain so far since this mornings deluge) and they turned out pretty well. Served with some sauteed peppers and onions. Sorry no picture, we ate it all before I remembered that. Yum!

A few things I’ve been eating lately.

Roasted eggplant and tomatoes with Italian herbs on mashed potatoes. Every single bit of this grown in the garden.

IMG_7259.jpg

A vegan Spanish tortilla made with garden grown potatoes, caramelized onions and chick pea flour to bind it.

IMG_7205.jpg

Homemade braided pesto bread.

IMG_7166.jpg

Fresh Korean pickled cucumber.

IMG_7065.jpg

Yellow beet and eggplant curry.

IMG_7072.jpg

Szechuan stir fried yard long beans and local apple cider.

IMG_7140.jpg

Latest posts

Back