What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know those lamb-shoulder-chops-that-are-practically-rib-chops that I am always prattling on about? Well, we had our hearts set on them for tonight, but the store didn't have any. So we FINALLY spent a buck and bought the ACTUAL DAMN RIB CHOPS! Mmmmm. Dry-brined, then seared and seasoned with ground fennel, coriander, and garlic powder. I overdid them a little (to medium), but they were still delectable. Served with leftover veggies from upthread (fennel/onion/pistachio; grilled portabella mushroom; roast asparagus with ramp aioli). Washed down with my CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot.

DSCN1246.jpg DSCN1248.jpg DSCN1250.jpg

I'm assuming that is from Costco...I'd love to do a brisket on Monday since they just changed the forecast and there is only a chance of showers, plus I could put the kettle grill or bullet smoker up on the porch if it did rain.

Do you just rub it and let it sit overnight before a nice long cooking session (assuming all day, 10-12 hours minimum)?

No, that's my local grocery store Smith's (Kroger). I saw the ad yesterday and made a bee line to the meat market. They had none out on the shelf so I asked the meat guy where they were and he went into the back and brought out a bunch and marked them up with the sale price that even he didn't know about just yet. Snagged a beauty and may go back for another at the price. Costco is up to $3.49 for their brisket. It is "prime" but has not been trimmed at all so you have quite a bunch of fat to trim off so say the least.

I just use S&P. That is all I follow Aaron Franklins method to cook a brisket.

http://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-brisket-part-1/

http://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-cook/

I'm assuming that is from Costco...I'd love to do a brisket on Monday since they just changed the forecast and there is only a chance of showers, plus I could put the kettle grill or bullet smoker up on the porch if it did rain.

Do you just rub it and let it sit overnight before a nice long cooking session (assuming all day, 10-12 hours minimum)?

Last edited:
marbling-1.jpg

Mike, thanks for the links. I got a cyrovac'd flat at BJ's. Of course I went to Giant and they had whole ones for either $2.99 or $3.29 a lb, I was too disgusted to remember (mine was $5.49 lb). He cooks like I try to cook. Simple, don't over think it and let the quality of the ingredients come to the forefront. No rub but salt and pepper, nice. I think I get tired of the chile powder/paprika overload, usually makes me take a Zantac before I go to bed.

5B2D059B-9E23-4619-9AF9-D45B89CBCA38.jpeg In the kitchen with wife and a friend cooking dinner. Sampled a few of the batches that are underway:). This is a jicama cocktail - jicama, fresh squeezed lime juice, tajin seasoning. Very light and refreshing.

@ceeaton my Giant had full briskets at $2.99/lb. Might want to check yours.
I did, about 10 minutes after I bought a flat at BJs...oh well, the flat was less than $28, the smallest whole brisket at Giant was $45. This is the first brisket I've attempted, so smaller is better (sawed a piece off of it and curing it for pastrami).

Edit: the whole briskets at my Giant were $3.99 a pound

Last edited:
Back