What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit the easy button tonight. All I have to do is light the gasser and dodge raindrops.
Some days, easy is good! (Actually most days)

We actually were dry enough up here that I did the front and side lawn, which is good since we're supposed to get 2" of rain tonight and the lawn was reaching 7" in some parts...glad I haven't fertilized yet.

Not my best effort. I found a @ibglowin Woo-Hoo special of 1.2 lbs of ground lamb. Not baaad! Tomorrow will be lamburgers with part of it, but what about tonight? I threw together a mushroom/lamb/shallots pasta dish, seasoned with lots of garlic, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, and marjoram, and then saucified it with sour cream. Mixed it in with some Mafalda pasta (which I must admit is a shape I have never heard of before, so I posted a picture of it below). I also made broccoli rabe (or raab or rapini, if you prefer); I blanched it, then sauteed with EVOO and LOTS of garlic. I nearly blew it, as the pan went dry while I was working on the pasta dish, and I blackened some of the rabe. Fortunately, the line between awful rabe and yummy rabe is very broad and fuzzy, so it went down the hatch just fine.

DSCN1235.jpg

mafalda.jpg

Whoo Hoo is good if you don't tell SWMBO! LOL

I have to remove or dispose of all whoo hoo evidence or said meal will not be consumed. I keep telling her she will not survive the coming zombie apocalypse but she says she doesn't wish to........ So guess I am on my own with the flesh eaters some day!

Whoo Hoo is good if you don't tell SWMBO! LOL

I have to remove or dispose of all whoo hoo evidence or said meal will not be consumed. I keep telling her she will not survive the coming zombie apocalypse but she says she doesn't wish to........ So guess I am on my own with the flesh eaters some day!

After I discovered "Woo-Hoo," I made several fine meals with the questionable gains. I later decided to have a frank talk with my DW: "Is this okay with you, or not?" Fortunately, my wife is a cheap-assed daughter-of-a-bitch :) and she gave me her blessing. (Up to a point, I think.)

We actually were dry enough up here that I did the front and side lawn, which is good since we're supposed to get 2" of rain tonight and the lawn was reaching 7" in some parts...glad I haven't fertilized yet.

If I'm not mistaken, we're on our 8th straight day of rain. The last 4 have been pretty heavy.

If I'm not mistaken, we're on our 8th straight day of rain. The last 4 have been pretty heavy.
The dryness lasted about 10 minutes after I got the front and side yards done. I can still see the tractor mud tracks where the water congregates before moving onto the neighbors yard. Definitely had a few inches of rain overnight, it's now slowing to a drop here and there, so I picked up some baby back ribs to do on the porch for my afternoon entertainment, after lunch at LongHorn with DW. She doesn't want to leave until 1 pm, I keep moving the time up, I got her to 12:30...she asked what the rush was and I showed her the ribs. She agreed an earlier lunch is in her best interest (she likes my ribs).

Since no one else posted, here's the ribs part way into the cook. Used some leftover mojo rub from the other night when I did the boneless rib meat for the Cubano sandwiches. About to wrap these and add some lime and orange juice, hopefully for some Cuban style ribs, if there is such a thing.

5-19-18_ribs.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking low and slow, cut some slits for garlic, slather with some EVOO and rosemary. In other words treat it like lamb, that meat looks darker to me. Also on charcoal, minimal wood. Either mesquite or hickory. Oh and some dark gravy for the taters (your choice, just make sure they have some garlic in them).

The promised lamburgers tonight! Seasoned with marjoram and garlic powder, then grilled on the Weber, topped with melted goat-cheese Brie. (Had to match the ovine goodness of the lamburger with some hircine goodness of the Brie. [Or caprine, if you prefer that term.]) Served this on a slice of baguette. Also had some grill-roasted caps of portabella 'shrooms (soy and EVOO). One side was sauteed escarole with lots of EVOO and Vitamin G, while the other was carrots braised and glazed in butter and balsamic vinegar with whole cloves of garlic. This was all washed down with CC Showcase Yakima Cab-Shiraz.

DSCN1242.jpg DSCN1244.jpg

Yea, I saw that at the Costco here in San Antonio a few days ago. It is a massive beautiful BEAST for sure. Looks to be bigger than 24" in diameter. KJ makes good stuff but man you could almost buy three of the Pit Boss K24" Kamado's for the same price. I liked the rotisserie option but again the price! Oy vey!

Mike,
Take a look, this is a huge grill

Thats a great price on the Kingsford. Its plain vanilla charcoal which is why it cost so little. You can always use this as a starter base and add a wood chip/chunk on top for addition flavor as well. (pecan, hickory, apple) etc.

Latest posts

Back