What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got pulled in also..had to look up what a gratcke was..
i get it now..garage key...lol
very good rocky,

Guest coming....

Tonight is a bone in pork loin, cored the center and stuffed with cream cheese and rosemary, then plugged the ends.....
black wild rice with a cashew paste.
wilted salad with porkbelly
bartlett pear poached in peach blush, stuffed with chopped dates marinated with some vsop brandy.

On this damp rainy day, I made the perfect companion, Buffalo Chicken Soup!

Thanks for the reminder Dan. That soup was a hit with both me and the wife last year. I need to resurrect the recipe and make it again.

Short ribs, done sous vide. Baked potato, roasted carrots and thyme, and baked beets, then sliced and turned into beet salad, i.e., served with balsamic vinegar.

Short ribs, done sous vide. Baked potato, roasted carrots and thyme, and baked beets, then sliced and turned into beet salad, i.e., served with balsamic vinegar.

Sounds awesome. I need to get a sous vide cooker.

Jim,
I have mentioned this before, so forgive me if this is a repeat. I made my own temperature controller, and use it to control the temperature of a crockpot. You can also buy such a controller ready to go from Auber Instruments. (Much cheaper if you do it yourself.) That and a vacuum sealer and you are in business. Let me know if you want more info.

Here is an old picture of some short ribs. Here I was experimenting with how "rare" I could make them. You cook them long and low, and so they get tender, but they are medium-rare instead of well done. I now make them a little more well done than the ones in this photo, more like medium.

shortribs.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight will be:

Hearty Salami and Swiss on club crackers (served with 2011 Sauvignon Blanc), followed by:

Italian sausages with stewed onions and peppers, shaved potatoes and spiced corn and pepper succotash (served with 2010 Shiraz), finally:

Red velvet cake with creamed cheese icing (served with 2012 White Zinfandel).

I think I am glad to see some of the wines duplicated from day to day. I was starting to either wonder how many people live at Chez Koz, or else feel inadequate that I cannot polish off three bottles a night at Chez Paul! :)

Tonight is Catfish Pontchartrain and Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Take out Cajun a block from home. Bon

We like variety, Sour Grapes, however, we just enjoy a vast wine rack a la Chez Koz ;) *don't read too much into it, right now, just 'budget' wines...*

Tonight will be:

Sweet deer sausage with provolone cheese and chive hor'dourves one club crackers with creamed cheese spread (served with a 2011 Viognier), followed by:

Petite cob-style salad with a white-wine balsamic vinaigrette dressing and home-made herbed croutons (served with a 2011 Chardonnay), followed by:

Seasoned salmon stuffed prawns with garlic hollandaise sauce over a bed of white-wine sautéed asparagus (served with a 2011 Pinot Grigio), followed by:

Hearty French onion soup in a home-made sourdough bread-bowl, with fresh baguette (served with a 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon), followed by:

Champagne-injected butter-ball turkey with herbed mashed potatoes and fresh vegetable medley and herbed crostini (served with 2011 Sauvignon Blanc), followed by:

Salted and spiced deviled eggs with shrimp and onion relish (served with a 2011 Seyval Blanc), finally:

Dark chocolate hot fudge sundae with cognac-glazed walnuts and vanilla ice-cream (served with 2012 Riesling), followed by:

Prayers and festivities and good old fashioned celebration of the season of Christmas and the joy therein (served with hot coffee)!

Merry Christmas and a very happy holiday my friends!

Sour Grapes, the beef is 'represented' by the French Onion soup - its base is beef broth or consumme, depending on your taste. :-D I was hoping to represent beef as well and that was the most fluid (no pun intended) way I could :-D

What can I say, us Sicilians don't mess around when it comes to food - especially the HOLIDAYS! ;)

Latest posts

Back