Cellar Craft What would you do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you make 69L/3 Kits worth of at once?

• Amarone (Style)

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Argentina Malbec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cabernet Red Mountain

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Rosso Fortissimo

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello all I was hoping for some insight on my conundrum.

I was gifted two 54L demi's almost two years ago and haven't used them once yet. Mostly because I didn't make that much volume as I have done mostly kits and this year was my first year of doing wine from grapes so I didn't want to putt all my eggs in the demijohn basket lol.

So now I'm thinking rather than having them sit empty for another year, I should fill them with a kit and have them bulk age until next fall's harvest. So far I like what I have done from Cellar Craft. I have done the rosso lr, malbec/shiraz sterling, grenache syrah mouvedre lr. I currently have an old vines zin finishing secondary.

My question to you would be if you could make 3 kits of the same wine, which would you do? I'm thinking I will need 2.5 to fill the demi-s and a half left over in a smaller carboy.

I'm thinking Amarone, Argentina Malbec, Red Mountain Cab, or Rosso, all in the Showcase level.

I'm leaning towards the Argentine Malbec as it is my favorite commercial wine or the red mountain cab as I haven't heard any bad things about it.

I'm hoping you all would share your thoughts.

Like you, I'm a fan of commercial malbecs (and cabs). I haven't tried either of the ones you listed, but they are both on my "to-do" list. That being said, I tend to gravitate more toward Cabs. And, based on what I've read here, I'd go with the Red Mtn Cab. The feedback here is so overwhelmingly positive, it's hard to ignore.

Back