What wine ?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What wine would go good with this dinner ???

possum_zpsubwwhlji.jpg

And ta hear, I've thought that was fer breakfast. Lern sompin new evrday!

Note: Fer xtra bodie, an added flavr, blend up sum sardines( bout a 2 packer) a doit.

Last edited:
Better be careful I almost got a time out for using that word. :w

You know, I've eaten all that before. Nope, not in Tennessee. At an annual wild game supper fundraiser held near Chicago when I lived in Illinois.

You know, I've eaten all that before. Nope, not in Tennessee. At an annual wild game supper fundraiser held near Chicago when I lived in Illinois.

What did it taste like, chicken?

Steve

What did it taste like, chicken?

Steve

Possum was quite tasty, like venison in some regards. The raccoon was greasy and had a gamey flavor I did not particularly like. Besides bass, crappy and bluegill, we also ate wild goose (excellent), wild turkey (excellent), dove (excellent), sparrow (excellent), squirrel (great), venison (great), muskrat (gamey) and mink (gamey). So much of the taste of wild meats is in how you kill it and how you cook it.

Great meat can be ruined easily, so it's not like I wouldn't try raccoon again. I have had venison that tasted terrible and I have had it where it compared to the best steak in terms of flavor and tenderness.

Possum was quite tasty, like venison in some regards. The raccoon was greasy and had a gamey flavor I did not particularly like. Besides bass, crappy and bluegill, we also ate wild goose (excellent), wild turkey (excellent), dove (excellent), sparrow (excellent), squirrel (great), venison (great), muskrat (gamey) and mink (gamey). So much of the taste of wild meats is in how you kill it and how you cook it.

Great meat can be ruined easily, so it's not like I wouldn't try raccoon again. I have had venison that tasted terrible and I have had it where it compared to the best steak in terms of flavor and tenderness.

My first experience with possum did not mirror yours, it was horrible. As to what to pair with it, I would suggest Two...at least two bottles and drink 'em both before you eat the possum.

The second possum was much better. I had learned to harvest them with a stick...poke 'em, they play possum, you pick 'em up, put 'em a toe sack, take 'em home, and feed 'em corn meal mush for a couple of weeks at least....cleans them out. That one was actually not bad at all.

Quit goose hunting because i never could make the dad gum things taste any better than boiled liver...in fact boiled liver was an improvement. Well, they do make passable jerky after you soaked them for days in a strong brine. Just too many deer and wild hogs down here in South Texas to mess with birds...even big birds like geese. The exception being Sand Hill Cranes, those make fine eating.

Just too many deer and wild hogs down here in South Texas to mess with birds...even big birds like geese.

That's why there's 200 pounds of venison in my freezer right now that I would put up against any steak in the country. The deer were full of corn when shot and dropped on the spot. Best way to get good meat.

That's why there's 200 pounds of venison in my freezer right now that I would put up against any steak in the country. The deer were full of corn when shot and dropped on the spot. Best way to get good meat.

Jim...over here we now have Axis deer running around...those big ole deer from India that looking like giant white fawns with all the white spots. They are grazers, grass eaters, but will chow down on corn. The meat is very fine grained and while lean, it will stand up against any beef steak. Now days, I strip out the whitetail backstraps and tenderloins...then I grind the rest into chilli meat or make sausage out of it. The Axis gets steaked out and handled with great care! It is very fine eating!

Sounds like you are making what I call DIRT shots...Dead Instantly Right There. Folks ask me why do you always shoot them in the head? Because, I don't eat the heads! I ain't Daniel Boone and I hate tracking a poorly shot deer for hours. Have no problem killing a deer to eat....I just hate to hurt any animal. Head shots....they are deer doing their thing one minute, the next minute they are protein for the freezer.

Jim...over here we now have Axis deer running around...those big ole deer from India that looking like giant white fawns with all the white spots. They are grazers, grass eaters, but will chow down on corn. The meat is very fine grained and while lean, it will stand up against any beef steak. Now days, I strip out the whitetail backstraps and tenderloins...then I grind the rest into chilli meat or make sausage out of it. The Axis gets steaked out and handled with great care! It is very fine eating!

Sounds like you are making what I call DIRT shots...Dead Instantly Right There. Folks ask me why do you always shoot them in the head? Because, I don't eat the heads! I ain't Daniel Boone and I hate tracking a poorly shot deer for hours. Have no problem killing a deer to eat....I just hate to hurt any animal. Head shots....they are deer doing their thing one minute, the next minute they are protein for the freezer.

I remember my college days. I had this roommate that used to bash hunters while he was eating a bacon cheese burger for lunch.

I remember telling him... "well, at least the deer had a good life until it was harvested (unlike the cow and pig that he was eating)".

Your post just shows how responsible a person you are! Good-on-ya!

Latest posts

Back