What type of container is OK?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanwdavis

Junior
Reaction score
Someone at a home brewing store told me that any plastic container with a #2 recycling number is OK for brewing wine. Is that true? I've noticed that even the cheep grey-colored 5 gal pails at Lowe's are a #2, even though they do NOT indicate that they are a food grade.

Coincidentally, I bought some apple cider for making wine, and noticed that it came in plastic containers marked as recycling #5 on one side and receycling #7 on the other side. I would expect that the plastic apple cider continer would be food grade, but it doesn't say so. Are they OK for making wine?

And, what is the true story about the numbers shown on plastic containers--which numbers really indicate that the container is OK for wine making?

I use food grade buckets only. I get them at local bakery. The frosting comes in them and they are glad to give them to me. I would buy a 8 to 10 gallon fermentor if you plan on doing this on a regular bases

Latest posts

Back