What to grow next to these trees.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
We have a location that is about 30' wide and 200' long that has some cotton less cotton wood trees just east of it. I would like to plant something there, but am at a loss as what to plant. I was thinking of some sort of fruit bearing bush, but it does not get that morning sun. The grain elevator shades it a little late in the evening. any ideas?

*** you can see in the photo the trees hang over about half of that space.

ncm_0161-2444.jpg

If you got irrigation some blackberries, red or black raspberries and elderberries depending on how cold you guys get. I imagine those tree roots are right thick through that area? WVMJ

My concern was having enough sun to ripen the fruit being they would be shaded all morning. They would only get that afternoon sun.

Not sure if they can survive cold winters but blackberries don't give a dam where they grow. I have 4 varieties from U. of Ark. and they are pretty amazing.

I was just looking at Double A Vineyards and they have the Adam Elderberry that looks like it would grow here in Wyoming, and it looks like it likes partial shade or full sun. I have seen a black berry would also grow here.

I planted Samdyl elderberries abt 30 ft from a few medium sized hackberry trees and they have suffered. Late this spring I took a front tine tiller and a chopping axe and cut surface roots a foot deep between the trees and the berry plants. I'm moving the plants to a better spot this winter. From what I've observed in this experience and with gardening, trees can suck the ground completely dry within 50 feet.

Back