What to do with harsh acidic bottled wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you remember what the TA was prior to fermentation and what the TA is now?
No, I didn’t measure the TA, I’m waiting for a new ph meter and chemicals so I can test for so2 as well. This wine had a major bad odor problem and I racked it several times to get rid of the odor which also blew off a lot of aroma. I still have 3 gallons in a carboy that I can experiment with before I start opening bottles

Instead of dumping it. Try to blend it into table wine. Buy an inexpensive bottle of commercial Merlot and mix a combination that works for you. It will add tannin and knock down the acid. I blended it with Merlot and it turned out to be good drinking wine. I think the acidity of the Marquette on its own goes great with a steak. I've dumped a bottle of Marquette into a recipe for Beef Burgundy using chuck steak and the meal turned out great. Everyone commented as to how tender the beef was. I think it was the acidity of the Marquette. Others that used the same recipe but a commercial wine stated theirs didn't turn out as good tasting or tender as they remembered during that dinner. Maybe cause they weren't drinking enough wine before they ate the meal lol.

Instead of dumping it. Try to blend it into table wine. Buy an inexpensive bottle of commercial Merlot and mix a combination that works for you. It will add tannin and knock down the acid. I blended it with Merlot and it turned out to be good drinking wine. I think the acidity of the Marquette on its own goes great with a steak. I've dumped a bottle of Marquette into a recipe for Beef Burgundy using chuck steak and the meal turned out great. Everyone commented as to how tender the beef was. I think it was the acidity of the Marquette. Others that used the same recipe but a commercial wine stated theirs didn't turn out as good tasting or tender as they remembered during that dinner. Maybe cause they weren't drinking enough wine before they ate the meal lol.
I agree, Marquette and a good steak is very good. The reason I asked about the TA is because this year my Marquette, Petite and Verona had a TA of only .7, which in my opinion is low. Added acid to lower the pH to 3.55. Ta was now .8.

The three Ps of winemaking : patience patience patience
I’ll play around with the carboy and leave the bottles alone and revisit them in a couple years..
If you haven’t done a chill step I would try a week outside in an ice chest (so the temp is fairly constant). If the tasting bottle has some left that could be put in the fridge for a couple weeks to grow tartrate crystals.

Latest posts

Back