What to do about this

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klutz

Reaction score
If I did this right, there is supposed to be an attachment here now. If anyone can find it, please check, and tell me if you know what I should do with this vine. I know it's done the wrong way, but am not sure how much to cut off now. It has to go to the right only, since there is another one coming in from the left that I need room for.

DSC00067.jpg

Just prune out the dead canes and otherwise leave it alone for a year or two. Then when it has recovered enough to train, start moving the green canes to the right. Angle that straight flat cut on the head so water doesn't seep in and rot the main trunk.

First of all pull up those weeds and mulch around the trunk. Then tell us what kind/variety the vine is. Also take a soil sample and have it tested by your extention service. Grapes like a neutral soil.

The fact that the main trunk is cut off midway is problematic but you have good solid cordons to the left and right that look like they are on a wire.
At the very least prune the runners coming off the cordons to 3 or 4 buds each.

First of all pull up those weeds and mulch around the trunk. Then tell us what kind/variety the vine is. Also take a soil sample and have it tested by your extention service. Grapes like a neutral soil.

The fact that the main trunk is cut off midway is problematic but you have good solid cordons to the left and right that look like they are on a wire.
At the very least prune the runners coming off the cordons to 3 or 4 buds each.

Thanks, will do. It's not a wine grape this one. It's called Himrod.

Latest posts

Back