What to add or is it ruined?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrad701

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. I'm attempting to make some plum wine. It seems to be doing quite well so far but after sitting back and reading a lot of posts, I have learned that once you have racked to secondary then you need very little head room. I only have about 2 1/2 gallons in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy. It has been like this for about 1 1/2 months. Have I ruined the wine from oxidation? I have some one gallon jugs now but am unsure if I need to proceed or start over. If I need to continue what do I add after transferring to one gallon jugs? K-meta? Sorbate? Do I degas before or after moving to gallon jugs? I hope I haven't messed it up.

1st WELCOME
Don't be shy ask all you want.
I would find 2 - 1 gallon jugs FAST. Rack into them and hopefully you have a 1.5 ltr bottle for the rest.
I would degass 1st before racking
Did you add the k-meta? if not add 1/8 tsp and 1 1/4 tsp of sorbate.
Ruined? I doubt it but...Time will tell
Kep us posted.

Thanks for the speedy reply Tom. I was really beginning to panic. I would hate to ruin my first attempt. Do I add the K-meta and sorbate then degas and rack?

I dought its ruined cause most likely you have probably discovered this just in time. Get it into a vessel(vessels) that will dramatically decrease this headspace and add 1 campden tablet per gallon and sorbate also if you have not done so already. Welcome to this website and like Tom said ask all you want as thats why this site is here, for everyone to learn!

Thanks for the speedy reply Tom. I was really beginning to panic. I would hate to ruin my first attempt. Do I add the K-meta and sorbate then degas and rack?
Degas 1st the add k-meta and sorbate then rack

Back