what temperature for my wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poorboy

Junior
Reaction score
I made a lot of Chokecherry wine last year but I cant remember what temperature I kept my room when fermemting. I have a small room in my basement and it is easy to controll the temp. also I use Lalvin EC1118

EC-1118 has a Temp. Range of 45 to 95....I try to shoot for 70 to 72 for a temp while fermentation ...during the heavy part of fermentation, the wine will make it's own heat, but I try to watch the temp at the end and keep it up there so the wine will finish out

Just bottled 10 gals. of chokecherry this last weekend...Isn't it great stuff???

Poorboy, What area are you in and what kind of chokecherries are you using? I know Bert has a different chokecherry than I have in Northern Wisconsin. If I make straight choke cherry wine, it is quite strong. I usually have to mix it with something else. I have found using choke cherry and apple and grape juice works the best for me! Bert is right on for temps!!

Hey Barney, PWP and I opened a bottle of your choke cherry wine 6 or 8 weeks ago [had it aging for a while]....We guessed you had added a f-pack to get that much cherry flavor out of it.....Apple and grape juice, will have to try that...

I havent opened mine yet, oh wait, we dont have those over here!!!! Bwaaaa haaa haaaaa

Hi Bert
No, I didn't add an F-pack to it. That year the choke cherries had a pretty strong flavor as it was a dry season. The next year (2010) there wasn't a choke cherry to be found! Last year the trees were loaded and the berries were very sweet. I have found that mixing the juice with apple and grape juice, There is still a choke cherry taste but not so overpowering!

Back