What should be my next batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfmonk

Reaction score
What should my next batch be?

I have put the finings in my first batch of wine and I'm waiting for it to clear and rack to the oak barrel. I was wondering if I should make another kit or jump to making a batch from juice. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:
It all depends on what you're thirsty for? Red, White, fruit, mead????

Well speaking from my own (limited) experience, I would make another kit. I've only been making wine now for about 3-4 yrs and still consider myself a rank beginner with a LOT to learn from the folks here on this site (who are awesome by the way).

I made a Syrah kit a few years ago and it is one of my wife's favorites, but have no experience with the Berbera. Kits are great to get some experience of the process under your belt, then take a jump into juice or fruit once you're comfortable with things. I've done both this year, and while it's too early to really know how they are going to ultimately turn out, the experience from the kits, and instructions here in this forum, were incredibly benficial.

Thanks Jblyth, which Syrah kit did you purchase? As far as this forum, it is just awsome. Everyone has been very helpful and it's amazing how much knowledge many of these people have. I have been making beer for a number of years and I'm still leaning a lot from other people.

I think I'll go with the wine kit at least one more time. Does anyone have any suggestions on which Syrah or Barbera kits they would recommend?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary, let me offer advice in a slightly different fashion than how you asked it. (Sorry in advance if it's long winded.) You didn't say what you made, but my suggestion is to grow from it. If you made a white or red and like both, try the other. If you made a value kit, make a premium or ultra premium. (Don't go down in quality.) If you made a red without skins, perhaps make one with skins. If you made a Winexpert, try a RJ Spagnols or Cellar Craft or KenRidge. I'm not saying to do it all, but try to broaden your experience.

Besides broadening, also deepen your knowledge. Look at some forum subjects, do some research and perhaps lengthen the process. Here's a link you should review:
http://www.winemakermag.com/component/content/article/26/850-making-your-kit-wine-shine-redeaux

One other suggestion, if you deal with a local store, contact them and ask about limited quantity kits being sold.

Lastly, if you tell us what you made, we could probably offer suggestions on variations.

Tony P.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise Tony and the link. Very good information!! The first kit was CC Old Vine Zin with the skins. We're not really into whites so I'll probably wait before I do a white.

Thanks for the advise Tony and the link. Very good information!! The first kit was CC Old Vine Zin with the skins. We're not really into whites so I'll probably wait before I do a white.

You've started very well. While your first selection is very good, my suggestion to improve on it is the RJ Spagnols Winery Series Super Tuscan, like yours an 18 litre kit. There's a forum on it now and I think you'll like what you read. I have it and believe you'll love it. But be patient. For best results, think about uncorking it for Thanksgiving 2013.

Glad to help.

Tony P.

Last edited:
Tony, would that extended timeline for a kit help a white? or is that more for the reds?

The exact answer, if I could have some fun, is both. It will help a white, but will benefit reds a little more. What I think people call a 90 day schedule will help most wines, particularly if they are premium or better. I don't want to overstate the idea though, like kit instructions a 90 day schedule should be adjusted as you desire. Also, don't stop focusing primarily on SG.

The idea as they say is that instructions produce good wine but you can make good wine better.

Tony P.

Last edited:
The Cellar Craft Yakima Shirah is crszy good. Tons of fruit and body.

Latest posts

Back