what now

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kboom36

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, im new to this and im just into my secondary fermentation in my carboy using a white wine kit. My instructions for the kit say I have to wait 12 days and have a specific gravity of 0.995 before I use the potassium metabisulphite. My question is do I have to wait the full 12 days even if my specific gravity is at the required reading on the fifth day.

No, if your wine is already dry (< 1.000) and finished fermenting then you do not have to wait the specified time. Winemaking instructions are more guidelines than strict rules. I would suggest that you double check your hydrometer reading to make sure it is correct before moving on.

I have two hydrometers and they both show the correct reading of 0.0995. Thanks for the reply.

You should check it more then one day to make sure it really is done . It won't hurt it if you leave it the 12 days before you do anything to it even if it is done sooner .

I agree I would wait the extra time for it to possibly age some and clear a bit but im going to travel before the degassing step so thats why I want to step things up a bit.

Welcome aboard!!

At stated above - i would go off your hydrometer not days.

3 consecutive days of the same SG < 1.000 indicates the fermentation is done.

Latest posts

Back