What metals are bad for wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
What types of metal react badley with wine on a long-term basis?
I was thinking of different ways to store wine that wouldn’t be harmful or as
fragile as glass.
smiley11.gif

Also, does anyone know what happens when metals react
with wine? Wine ruined, metal, etc.?

Thanks,
Ryan
</span>

Minimum Grade 304 Stainless Steel only!!!! It is a corrosion issue with any other metals due to the pH of the wine.

Grade 304 has excellent corrosion resistance in a wide range of media. It resists ordinary rusting in most packaging applications. It is also resistant to most food processing environments, can be readily cleaned, and resists organic chemicals, dye stuffs and a wide variety of inorganic chemicals.

In warm chloride environments, 304 is subject to pitting and crevice corrosion and to stress corrosion cracking when subjected to tensile stresses beyond about 50°C. However, it can be successful in warm chloride environments where exposure is intermittent and cleaning is a regular event.

Grade 316 also has excellent corrosion resistance in a wide range of media. Its main advantage over grade 304 is its increased ability to resist pitting and crevice corrosion in warm chloride environments. It is also resistant to most food processing environments, can be readily cleaned, and resists organic chemicals, dye stuffs and a wide variety of inorganic chemicals.

Neither 304 0r 316 should be cleaned with chlorine containing compounds. Edited by: masta

Ask and you shall receive. Is there anything Masta doesnt know. We should open a new post and try to stump him!
Edited by: wade

Masta, you sound like a metalurgist or materials scientist. I'll bet you even know the UNS designation of 304 and 316!!

No way....I just work in the pharmaceutical industrywherewe use plenty of 316 SS along with glass lined and even some Hastelloy C vessels and piping.

UNS designation .....That is an easy one

304 = S30400
316 = S31600

Masta, thank you. You got me headed in the right direction. What, prey-tale, is the "ss" in the 316 (which is what I think would fit my need :) )

rshosted said:
Masta, thank you. You got me headed in the right direction. What, prey-tale, is the "ss" in the 316 (which is what I think would fit my need :) )

I think even I can answer that one- the ss stands for "stainless steel"

masta said:
No way....I just work in the pharmaceutical industrywherewe use plenty of 316 SS along with glass lined and even some Hastelloy C vessels and piping.

UNS designation .....That is an easy one

304 = S30400
316 = S31600

Oh Masta!!! I love it when you talk pharmaceutical!
smiley2.gif

Copper reacts badly with wine...although it can, in small amounts w/ low contact time, correct a wine fault (H2S, I believe).

I wouldn't want to do anything with aluminum and wine, either.

If H2S (or any sulfide ion) is present it will react with most transition metals to form a highly insoluble precipitate. In fact, sulfides and other sulfur compounds are used to remove Cu, Ni, Cr, and Sn from the wastewater of plating shops.

Copper sulfate can be used to react out H2S from wine. It has to be used in minute quantities because in solution it is blue (not a good look for most wines). Another alternative would be to dangle a piece of bright copper water line in the wine for a few hours with gentle agitation. The reaction will take place on the copper pipe, turning it black but not leaving a very hard to filter precipitate behind.

Well, you guys have gone and done it. You need to post a warning that the following material is more than a Liberal Arts Princess can handle. I was reading this stuff, trying to follow along, when suddenly the back of my head just blew off. There's brain material all over the wall, top of a fermenter and Bert's guns. Now I have to clean!
smiley36.gif

Being I used to be a junk man and my yard is still littered with 304 and 316 industrial scrap all I can add is 316 will bring you another nickle a pound over 304...lol

Latest posts

Back