WineXpert What kits have skins, other than creshend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Which kits (brand and style) include grape skins with the kit. I have done a Creshendo and love it. I would like to try a couple of other companies kits... Any suggestions.

Also if you've done one, tell us what you thought of it.

RJS has 4 kits in their Cellar Classic Winery Series and Cellar Craft International has 9 kits that come with grape packs.

I have made two of the Cellar Craft kits and while I have notcompared the wine to a Crushendobecause they both are aging in the cellar, I can tell you the grape pack in the Cellar Craft kit is a lot of stems and seeds!

The grape skins pack in the the Crushendo is totally different...more like jam and is designed to add all of it goodness to the wine after7 days in the primary.Edited by: masta

I thought you could get dried grape skins separate but I don't see any in the
on-line store. George, is there such a thing or am I imagining it?
Edited by: peterCooper

I have done a couple Cellar Craft kits as well. An Amarone and a Rosso Fortissimo. The Rosso has to be one of the best wines I have ever drank. The Amarone needs a whole lot of aging.

Actually, Idon't the Cellar Craft kits areRJS kits, I thought the RJS kits were Cellar Classics, not Cellar Crafts.

http://www.cellarcraftwine.com/

http://www.rjspagnols.com/

Please correct me if I am incorrect.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

peterCooper said:
I thought you could get dried grape skins separate but I don't see any in the
on-line store. George, is there such a thing or am I imagining it?

I think you are imagining it. If you live near a vineyard, you might be able to talk them out of some of their grapeskins to add to your kit....

Smurf:

I just bottled my Cellar Craft Amarone kit and am wondering how it would comapare (since I made it), with other Amarones. Could you offer a Judging on your Amarone so I could compare to mine.

Thanks

jobe05 said:
Smurf:

I just bottled my Cellar Craft Amarone kit and am wondering how it would comapare (since I made it), with other Amarones. Could you offer a Judging on your Amarone so I could compare to mine.

Thanks

I can't really give an opinion yet. I bottled it in September and have only opened one bottle since. It will be 2-3 months before I sample another. I will say it will be BOLD. am sure it will soften with age but the one I sampled was really big and really dry.

I made another Cellar Craft kit at the same time, a Rosso Fortissimo. It was really good after a month or so in the bottle. I have opened about 4-5 bottles of it. I now have both of these hid away letting them age. I made a couple VR kits to hold me over until they are ready to start opening.

Of the 2, I prefer the Rosso hands down over the Amarone Style. But it is really early and time may change my opinion. These are wines that require time before they are drinkable in my opinion. Wish I could of offered ya more. If you like big red drys, I will say you won't be disappointed.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I agree with Smurfe! I have this kit as well, and it has been about 4 months in the bottle and will require at least another 18 months to be very nice. It is BIG, in your face, up front with everything, type of wine. If you go to your local wine/beer store, you will not be able to find any Amarone under 5 years old, and many up into the 10-12 year old range.

With a wine that bold, you need to age this out to get the subtleties if can offer.

Latest posts

Back