What just happened?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
3 gallon carboy filled w first press cab. I took a cup of distilled h20 and added acti ml and vp41. Let sit 15 mins and distributed the malo amongst my carboys. The 3 gallons immediately began to bubble. Is this just trapped co2 or does the malo start that fast?

very normal for that to happen.. I've had it completely overflow like a volcano one year, before I learned my lesson to add it very slowly

Best to start MLF with some head room in the carboy. Add your solution and give it a few hours to settle, then top back up. And just to be save, buy some of those cheap plastic tubs from Wal-mart or Target and set your carboys in them so they catch any overflow..

Why would adding it quickly effect anything?

You are adding small bits of solid to a solution saturated in CO2. The solid provides nucleation sites for bubbles to form and release gas from solution. So the more you add and faster it goes in, the more CO2 gets released. Think Mentos in a soda bottle!

Cheers!

Why would adding it quickly effect anything?

Think Mentos in a soda bottle! You are adding small bits of solid to a solution saturated in CO2. The solid provides nucleation sites for bubbles to form and release gas from solution. So the more you add and faster it goes in, the more CO2 gets released.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back